[va-richmond-general] MAPS banding 14 July 2012

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Richmond Birds <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 21:29:51 +0000 (UTC)

Had a hot and steamy banding day yesterday at Dutch Gap. Nets were open before sunrise. Bird song was noticeably quiet until almost closing time at noon. Until the 9:40 am net run, it looked like the only thing we would be banding was Carolina Wrens and Dragonflies. Our diversity was predictable. The Yellow-throated warblers continue to tease from the tree-tops, as well as the "pi-tuk" of Summer Tanagers and a scolding White-eyed Vireo. On the 9:40 run it seems as though the young Prothonotary's took flight and hit a momentary detour in our nets. These little balls of molt have morphed into near teenagers and are nothing but adorable.

The Marsh Mallow flowers are in full bloom and dragonflies of all types were skirting the roadsides. Another good day to gather data on dispersing Prothonotary warblers. Hard to believe we only have 2 more sessions for the 2012 MAPS' season.

Here is our tally and some images from the day.

Thanks to the team who turned out and sweat-ed and swatted through another day.
Julie Kacmarcik
Chester

Carolina Wren: 13 (8 recaps)
Brown Thrasher: 1 recap
Prothonotary warbler: 10 (8 recaps) all juvenile
Northern Cardinal: 5 (2 recaps)
Wood Thrush: 1 juvenile