[va-richmond-general] Re: Hummers? [THANKS]

  • From: "IE Ries" <FEATHERCHASER@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:38:34 -0400

Many thanks to all the folks who replied regarding Hummer sightings and
feeder placement tips!

I ended up putting it in front of my townhouse unit, and there's a large
maple just a few feet away.  So far, I haven't seen any hummers and though I
hear goldfinches, none have come to the feeder, either (I have both a
thistle seed feeder and a nectard feeder on a nice metal shepard's hook
about 4 feet high).   I can hear the finches in the maple, but if they are
coming, they are doing it when I'm not around.

I have therefore decided to cheat a bit and will purchase some "silk"
flowers from the local craft shop and "decorate" the frame of the hanger a
bit with fake (they'll not like that when they realize it) trumpet vine
flowers and blackeyed susans to see if that helps.  Will keep you posted!

Thanks again!  :)

Irene in Southside