[va-richmond-general] Hog Island, 4/16

  • From: "Michael Shapiro" <sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richmond listserv" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:16:02 -0400

Sorry for the late posting on this. I was exhausted yesterday and very busy
today.
Well, 8 birders braved the wind and the cold and were rewarded with 62 bird
species at Hog Island this Saturday in about 6 hours. The numbers of some birds
was incredible. I'm sure we saw at least 20 eagles, about 1/3 of which were
adults. I don't recall ever seeing that many eagles there before. There were at
least as many Ospreys, Great Blue Herons, and Yellowlegs, as well. Other
species of note were Long-billed Dowitcher, Dunlin, both teals, three tern
species, and some lingering wintering waterfowl. We also had 2 mammals and 2
reptiles: Gray Fox, Muskrat, Painted Turtles, and a Black Racer that was doing
a very good impression of a King Cobra!

Here is the full bird list:

Eastern Towhee
Bald Eagle
Canada Geese (over 100)
Osprey
Turkey Vulture
Black Vulture
Red-winged Blackbird
Pine Warbler
Great Blue Heron
Yellow-throated Warbler
Double-crested Cormorant (at least 60)
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Common Yellowthroat
Northern Cardinal
Herring Gull (numerous)
Ring-billed Gull (numerous)
Bonaparte's Gull (24)
Laughing Gull (over 60)
Tufted Titmouse
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Killdeer
Great Egret
Greater Yellowlegs (I stopped counting at 25. There were probably almost twice
that amount)
Lesser Yellowlegs
Mallard
Fish Crow
American Crow
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Eastern Kingbird
Foster's Tern
Caspian Tern
Royal Tern
Blue-winged Teal
Green-winged Teal  (nearly 70)
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Field Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Carolina Chickadee
Northern Mockingbird
Northern Shoveler (3 - 2 males, 1 female)
European Starling
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Finch
Carolina Wren