[va-richmond-general] Henricus, 4/24

  • From: "Michael Shapiro" <sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richmond listserv" <VA-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 19:20:03 -0400

A leisurely stroll around Henricus (mostly through the Conservation area) this
morning and early this afternoon produced 56 species of birds, about 12 species
of insects, three species of reptiles and three species of mammals. Migratory
birds included:
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (everywhere)
Common Yellowthroats - 2 seen, many heard
Laughing Gulls (numerous on fly-ash pond, along with Ring-billeds and Greater
Black Backs)
Orchard Oriole - 2
Yellow Warbler 1 seen, 1 heard
Tree Swallows  - at least a dozen
Barn Swallow - 1 flying around the Tree Swallows
Cedar Waxwings - 10
Yellow-rumps - about a dozen seen
Wood Thrush - 1
Prothonotary Warblers - 9 seen, others heard, 4 were banded (I've reported them)
White-eyed Vireo - 3
Red-eyed Vireo - 2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 1 (anyone have a late date on these?)
Hermit Thrush - 1 (how about a late date for these?)
Yellow-throated Warbler - heard many, saw one
Brown Thrasher - 1
Indigo Bunting - 1
Field Sparrow (heard)
Great-crested Flycatcher (heard)
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds - 2, harassing a Gnatcatcher, which looked huge
compared to the hummers. I looked to see what they were fighting over and it
was the remnants of a Tent Caterpillar canopy. Probably some small Tent
Caterpillars still on it.
Osprey - 2
Am. Redstart - 1 (thank you, Lauren)
N. Parula - 1 (seen, others heard)
Chipping Sparrow (heard)

INSECTS:
a couple of species of damselflies and dragonflies, Tiger and Zebra
Swallowtails, Painted Ladies, LBlJ's (Little Blue Jobs - either Spring Azures
or Eastern-tailed Blues, I suppose), Duskywing sp., Falcated Orangetip (thank
you, Larry), Tiger Beetles
and Ladybugs

REPTILES AND AMPHIBIANS:
Mud Turtle, Painted Turtles, and a lizard species. Bullfrogs and Cricket Frogs
heard.

MAMMALS:
Homo sapiens, seed snatchers, and flea catchers (this mail may not be
canine-free, but it IS fat-free and very low on carbs!)

My name is Michael Shapiro and I approved of this message!

BTW - for anyone who hasn't been to Henricus in a while, they are going to
start charging admission for the rebuilt Cittie of Henricus (May 1). This won't
affect anything else. They're also recreating Mt. Malady (first English
hospital in America) and you should watch your step on the boardwalk.