[va-richmond-general] Happy New Year #2

  • From: Lewis Barnett <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 14:17:49 -0500

While I didn't find any owls, I had a nice morning of birding in the Pony Pasture and Wetlands sections of James River Park this New Year's Day. Once the sun was well up, things were pretty birdy. Okay, most of the birds were Chickadees and Yellow-rumped Warblers, but there were quite a few of them! Highlights were both Kinglets, five woodpeckers (Downy, Red-bellied, Sapsucker, Flicker and Pileated), two Brown Creepers, a Winter Wren, a Fox Sparrow in the Wetlands meadow, and one Great Black-Backed Gull on the river as I drove out. On the way home, I stopped by the Stony Point Office Park pond on Forest Hill Avenue (behind the Ukrops shopping center) and was treated to four Hooded Mergansers and three Ruddy Ducks among the usual Ring-necked Ducks.

Complete list for James River Park below.

Good birding!

Lewis

--
Lewis Barnett -- Chair, Dept. of Math & CS, U. of Richmond, VA 23173
              -- lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx | lbarnett@xxxxxxx

Location:     James River Park - Pony Pasture Section
Observation date:     1/1/08
Number of species:     37

Canada Goose     30
Mallard     23