[va-richmond-general] Godspeed Martha Gail....westward bound 16 April 2011

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Richmond Birds <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 00:27:06 +0000 (UTC)

After a full week of checking for MG it looks as though she has started her westward trek. The last confirmed sighting was the evening of 15 April. Saturday morning no MG-just male and female hummers, the weather Saturday afternoon was tornadic...all other checks for her throughout the week came up empty. It has been an awesome run. She appeared seemingly out of nowhere 20 November 2010 feeding on Mexican sage in my garden, it was a surprise to see her the next day and then the next day and then it turned into "please just stay till you're banded" as she was (26 Nov by Bruce Peterjohn and David Holmes) and then "please stay till the Hopewell CBC" and "hey, how about if you hang around for family here at Christmas", then, "let's start the New Year with MG" and "oh heck can you tough it out for the Great Backyard Bird Count"? and on and on and on.

She had over 140 visitors from as far away as Michigan, New Hampshire and Ontario. She had fans ages 11-83+. Unknowingly she became a source of inspiration to many people who have contacted me by phone, letters and email. Mike and I have been given selfless gifts and MG made a pretty good haul on sugar donations and feeder accessories. She has become a household word in the area and made the local newspapers several times.

Who would think a 3.88 gram body of feathers could mean so much to so many folks...? We miss seeing her )a lot!!!) and awaiting her pre-dawn appearances but wanted her to do what she needs to do...migrate to have a brood of her own.

Bruce Peterjohn wrote and said this of her migration"

 "Friday would have been a good day for migration in front of the advancing frontal system. So she is probably winging her way west each day. Migrating at this time of the year should not pose many food-related issues for her. The return rate for winter hummingbirds is in the range of 1 in 6 for this region, with the birds remaining for the entire winter showing a greater likelihood of returning;"

 MG has been a great experience for Mike and I. We learned so much and met so many people, even if just through email or journal entries in the MG log.
You know we will be looking for her as the autumn rolls around.
Much thanks to all who have been MG cheerleaders and offered encouragement to us. I am including a few photos of her from her stay here in Chester and a "You Tube" link for those of you in withdrawal.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2GK1e_R4G8

Best to all,
Julie and Mike Kacmarcik