[va-richmond-general] Fwd: eBird Report - John J Radcliffe Apomattox River Conservation Area , 4/13/11

  • From: Caroline Coe <cccoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richmond Birds <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:11:16 -0400

We took a delightful walk along the Appomattox River this morning.  One
highlight was finding a pair of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers putting finishing
touches on their nest - they were both very busy with back-and-forth trips. A
nice covering of lichens was already on the nest so it blended in well with the
tree branch.

Many of the birds were seen but not heard as they seemed quite busy feeding.
This was not the case with the Prothonotary Warblers - the males were quite
vocal and in beautiful breeding plumage.

Caroline & John Coe
Chesterfield County