[va-richmond-general] Dutch Gap MAPS Banding Demo Saturday Sept 22, 2007

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Richmond Birds)
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 14:27:22 +0000

Incredible turn-out for our first banding demo at Dutch Gap yesterday. We tallied approx 25 birds and at least 50 observers. Boy Scouts from Troop 720 in Glen Allen, Biology students from UVA and local birders made it standing room only at our banding station. Chesterfield Parks and Rec. started shuttling folks in at 8 am and we wrapped up by noon. Northern Cardinals and Carolina Wrens were very abundant-true to form with our end of season stats. We had at least 3 Veerys and a show-stopping female Magnolia Warbler. The first and last bird of the day netted was a Brown Thrasher.

Thanks to all who came out to visit, John Coe for transporting all the folks to the station and all the Dutch Gap MAPS crew for a successful day. I am including photos of the demo, the Magnolia Warbler, a Carolina Chickadee and a very content Thrasher just laying back in the bag waiting to be measured and weighed. Next demo-Oct. 6. Check the RAS link for more info http://www.cvco.org/science/audubon/thrasher.html

Here's what we netted:
Northern Cardinal
Carolina Wren
Carolina Chickadee