[va-richmond-general] Crazy Coots Birdathon Big Day

  • From: "Barnett, Lewis" <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 22:23:56 -0400

The Crazy Coots (me, Steven Dunn, Eileen Geller, Kim Harrell, Kim's friend
Eric, and Pete Walker) did our big day yesterday. The day started out bleak and
rainy - not terribly promising for spotting lots of birds.

We got started dark and early at the Wetlands and were rewarded with a pair of
Green Herons chasing around the pond and a Great Horned Owl calling as dawn
began to lighten the sky. Things started slowly at the next stop, the 42nd
Street section of James River Park, but picked up considerably before we moved
on. Key finds were a Mourning Warbler singing strongly from the woods leading
to the Reedy Creek Meadow, an Olive-sided Flycatcher pointed out to us by Jan
Frye from the bridge (thanks, Jan!), and an Eastern Screech-owl
(http://tinyurl.com/3ow7u7v) just uphill from the bridge being mobbed by a
sizable and voluble bunch of birds including a couple of Swainson's Thrushes.
Throw in a couple of Canada Warblers, and a Kingfisher being chased by a
Ruby-Throated Hummingbird, and we had a pretty good outing there.

At Crewe's Channel, we picked up Prairie Warbler, Pine Warbler, Red-headed
Woodpecker, and got nice looks at a Summer Tanager building a nest
(http://tinyurl.com/3d4n9a8) as well as pairs of Blue Grosbeaks and Indigo
Buntings all simultaneously in the field of view. The creek was very full, so
shorebirds were scarce. Those we picked up at the Shirley impoundment - nothing
unusual, but we got most of what we expected there. The big treat at Shirley
were two singing Dickcissels (http://tinyurl.com/3r2qsrl).

All told, the team tallied 105 species - complete list is below. Not bad for a
cloudy, rainy day late in migration - only three off of last year's total of
108. We missed a few species that we expected, like Great Egret, Peregrine
Falcon, Flicker, and Scarlet Tanager.

So, the final standings for this year's Richmond Audubon Society birdathon:

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly Ducklings: 114 species
The Crazy Coots: 105 species
Birdzerk: 60 species

Thanks to everyone who participated.

I hope you will make a donation in support of your favorite team (an individual
pledge form is attached to this message - just print it out and mail it in) to
support the youth, education and conservation programs of the Richmond Audubon
Society.

Lewis Barnett
lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Crazy Coots Birdathon total species list:

1.      Canada Goose
2.      Wood Duck
3.      American Black Duck
4.      Mallard