[va-richmond-general] Chaetura pelagica chimney swifts Shockoe Bottom

  • From: Jacob Wegelin <jacobwegelin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 14:21:28 -0400 (EDT)

Several evenings recently, a large number of chimney swifts have entered a tall
brick chimney on the east side of N 22nd St between Main and Franklin. They
start at about 19:30 and they are all in by about 19:35.

Is this well-known? I have never seen any other bird-watchers there. Is it
seasonal? I have lived in this area for 2 years and never noticed these birds
before.

They caught my attention because they were flying low over the neighborhood in
a big swirling, squeaking cloud.

Jake Wegelin