[va-richmond-general] Birdathon update

  • From: "Barnett, Lewis" <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 21:03:02 -0400

All three of this year's Bird-a-thon teams have now completed their big days
with impressive results. This year's newcomers, Birdzerk (Al and Linda
Warfield, Naseem and Lou Reza and John McGurl) turned in a respectable total of
60 species, which they assure me they observed in only half a day of birding,
so kudos for their efficiency. My team, the Crazy Coots (including Steven Dunn,
Eileen Geller, Kim Harrell, Eric Sanders and Pete Walker) had the latest big
day and racked up 105 species. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly Ducklings (John
and Caroline Coe, Ben and Betsy Saunders, Pam Dummitt, Margaret Ebbs, Grace
Suttle, and Julie Kacmarcik) went early, on May 1, and tracked down an
impressive 116 species.  When the sightings from all three teams are collected
together, Richmond Audubon Bird-a-thon teams found a total of 131 species in
Richmond and the surrounding areas during the month of May.

Bird-a-thon is one of Richmond Audubon's primary fund raisers every year. The
proceeds go to support the RAS Kids program
(http://www.richmondaudubon.org/KidsMain.html), our cooperative relationships
with Presquisle and James River National Wildlife Refuges and the James River
Park System in the city of Richmond, The Virginia IBA Program
(http://www.richmondaudubon.org/IBAMain.html) and our many conservation efforts
including the MAPS banding project, Prothonotary Warbler banding project, and
Saw-whet Owl banding project
(http://www.richmondaudubon.org/ForBirdsMain.html). The Bird-a-thon team
members participate because we feel strongly that our natural world is worthy
of study and is worth protecting. We believe that it is our duty to help the
next generation of naturalists and conservationists develop an appreciation for
the living world they are part of. We believe that Richmond Audubon is having
an impact and deserves our support.

All of the Bird-a-thon participants wish to thank everyone who has pledged or
donated to this effort. If you would like to join in the fun, please feel free
to send your check, made out to Richmond Audubon Society and mail it to PO Box
26648, Richmond, VA 23261. Donating a given amount per species for your
favorite team or for the combined list is a fun way to tie in with the big day,
but you can of course also donate in any amount you wish. Please write
"Bird-a-thon" in the memo of your check, and if you would like to throw your
support behind one of the teams, add "Birdzerk," "Coots" or "Ducklings" to your
memo. We have a little "friendly" rivalry over which team can raise the most
money for our favorite cause.

Good birding,

--
Lewis Barnett