[va-richmond-general] Ashland Trolley Line and adjoining property

  • From: "Bob Cole" <plmhp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 13:11:45 -0400

Those of you planning to come on the Trolley Line walk on the 29th should wear
boots either rubber or  waterproof hiking boots. Between the rains of the last
2 days and the new beaver dam there are several places where there is standing
water anywhere from 1" to 3 or 4".

For those who care to stay past the normal walk we can get lunch in the area
and visit some other birding sites in the immediate area.

Now for the good stuff. Yesterday and today we have seen:
male indigo buntings - 6 yesterday and 4 today. Two of the males are molting
and the other 4 are beautiful. Yesterday and today at any given time we have
had 2 - 4 of
them in a platform feeder at the property.

redheaded woodpecker - both days up in the area around the feeder and actually
feeding on seeds at the feeder. We'd heard of it but had never witnessed it
before.

chipping sparrows are here and also actively feeding
white-throated sparrows

wood thrush
black and white warbler
gray catbird
American redstart male
house wren
red-eyed vireo
white-eyed vireo
blue-headed vireo
red-bellied woodpeckers - male and female
downy woodpecker
red-crowned kinglets
kingfisher
tree swallows
common yellowthroat male

prothonotary warbler - heard only
northern waterthrush - heard only
black-throated green warbler - heard only
yellow-throated vireo - 4/22 heard only
northern parula warbler

commonly seen here:
drake wood ducks