[va-richmond-general] Ashland Trolley Line

  • From: Bob Schamerhorn <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "FreeLists.org Madden" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 13:28:26 -0400

After a great day at the Ashland Trolley Line on Saturday, I spent a few ho= urs at the 42nd Street and Wetlands sections of James River Park on Sunday.= It was pretty quiet by comparison. Warblers seen or heard at 42nd Street: = Northern Parula, Black-throated Blue, Yellow-throated, Blackpoll, Black-and= -White, Prothonotary, Ovenbird, and Common Yellowthroat. Many were heard on= ly. There was one Orchard Oriole, but no Baltimores and no Tanagers. One Pi= ne Siskin did it's "zeeeeet" a couple of times down near Reedy Creek - I im= agine it was on it's way north, as I haven't seen/heard them at that locati= on before. There was at least one Spotted Sandpiper, maybe two, along the r=
iver.

The Wetlands also seemed fairly quiet. I found Northern Parula, Yellow-thro= ated, Pine, Blackpoll, Black-and-White and Common Yellowthroat there, along=
with Acadian Flycatchers singing "peeeet-za!"

Today before work I spent an hour roaming around the Huguenot Flatwater sec= tion of the park. The trails are muddy, but passable. Acadian Flycatchers w= ere present there as well, along with Northern Parula, Black- throated Blue,= Black and White, and Redstart. Best bird of the day was a singing Yellow-t=
hroated Vireo as I was packing up to leave.=20

I don't know what experience others are having, but it seems like we might = have peaked early this year - the last weekend in April was pretty hopping = at the Wetlands. Maybe there will be another push before things quiet down =
for good - I've got my fingers crossed.

Lewis Barnett
lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx