[va-bird] no dead shearwaters on Metompkin Island today

  • From: Wes Brown <wbrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 21:33:38 -0400

On Fri., 7/08/2005, four of us walked ca. 2 miles of the Atlantic beach on Metompkin Island adjacent to the northern portion of Metompkin Bay. Apropos of recent reports from the Hampton Roads area and points south, our intent was to survey the beach for dead or dying seabirds, particularly Greater Shearwaters and other procellariiform species.

We found only one dead bird - a juvenile Northern Gannet. It had been dead for some time and was quite desiccated, but otherwise in reasonably good condition (for a cadaver), with all of its plumage intact.

We also saw the following (live) species on the beach:

Greater Black-backed Gull (many; predominantly subadults)
Common Tern (20+)
American Oystercatcher (20+)
Least Tern (8)
Piping Plover (7)

Regarding an earlier posting by P. R. Mocko today, I went offshore to Washington Cyn for tuna on June 23 and, although I didn't see the large flocks of Greater Shearwaters he reports seeing, I did see many more individuals and pairs than usual. Also in agreement with his observations, the birds were very aggressive in chasing the baits we were trolling.

Wes Brown
Parksley VA