[va-bird] Wilna Unit, RRNWR - Dickcissel, Chat, Grasshopper Sp

  • From: Dave Hewitt <dhewitt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:02:37 -0400

Folks-
On Sat morning, Gene Burreson and I visited the Wilna Unit of the Rappahannock River National Wildlife Refuge on the Northern Neck. This was our first trip to the refuge, and we were pleasantly surprised at what we found. The three target birds were DICKCISSEL, GRASSHOPPER SPARROW, and YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT. We got them all, and the first two were abundant. The Chat we found with a tip from Sandy Spencer just as we were leaving. He sang uncharacteristically from an open perch. This is a wonderful place for breeding birds.

Common Yellowthroat
Prairie Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler