[va-bird] Sunday Snowy Owl update.

  • From: "Kevin Shea" <kmichaelshea@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 13:31:29 -0500

I arrived at the airport around 8:30ish this morning at Dulles airport to find a couple from MD looking at the owl through a scope (please forgive me if the typing is awful my hands are still thawing from the 4hrs I spent watching the bird). The bird was quite lethargic, as I was timing how often it moved so I could relay it to people here in case they wanted to check it out during the times I had. It seemed to move every 45-60 minutes and the moves were mostly lateral to our position on the parking deck.

If you were looking off the deck with the UPS building on your right, and the main terminal on your left...look out about as far as you can at the tarmac and you'll start to see signs denoting (i'm assuming) runways. The black sign that read y-9/y-11 is the best fieldmark I can think to give for a general line to where the owl was being seen. It was never observed perching more than 6ft off the ground, and spent a good deal of time on the ground hunkered. If you can find the red and white stripped electrical shed (I'm assuming thats what this is), start looking to the right (on the far side of the runway) and you'll see what looks like structures shaped like a T with 2 vertical bars with several in a row (confused yet?). This is where I've seen the owl perched the most...please keep in mind its a 'cool mile' away.

If you've anymore questions please drop me a line.

Kevin