[va-bird] Re: Rockingham Co birding

  • From: "WILLIAM and THERESE Leigh" <leightern@xxxxxxx>
  • To: shenvalbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 00:23:08 +0000

All,

Spent the day birding and running errands between birding which led to a rather disorganized day of birding that had me at quite a few nice birding spots but for short time spans. I did manage 2 hours at Redish Knob for a shot at Hawkwatching. No migrant raptors noted. Two adult Red-tails flying north and hunting were the only raptors seen. Nice looks though!
Highlights were :
4 youngish looking Ruffed Grouse all with what appeared to be short tails. One bird had a single lone tail feather which stuck out and looked rather out of place which I suspose it wasn't. These birds appeared totally unafraid of me and actually walked towards my car. I was fascinated by the way their toes lifted from the pavement and drew together. Unfortunately my camera was in the back of the car and totally out of reach. Later I saw lots of hummers and an Osprey along Mossy creek. Least Sandpipers and Killdeer were seen at Nazarene Church road grassy pond area with the cut out bears, deer, and rabbits .. .. A single lesser Yellowlegs was seen at Leonards pond in the early am in dense fog.
Only warbler seen the entire day was a Black and White at Madison Run (ouch!)

Sincerley,

William Leigh
Bridgewater VA