[va-bird] Posting and verizon.net problems

  • From: "P R Mocko" <paulbirds19@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:05:39 -0400

Dear VA-Birders,

The most common problem for VA-Bird is the inability to get an email to post on the listserv. The nature of email, with a zillion different email hosts, formats and and spam filters, makes diagnosis of a non-post very difficult if not impossible. This is a serious problem for without postings from birders the listserv is worthless.

Freelists hosts the VA-Bird listserv and does a terrific job. They "bounce" posts that have problems, meaning they send back posts to the originator that don't make it to VA-Bird. Sometimes this bounce takes several days. Sometimes the bounce email doesn't make it through spam filters back to the poster.

If you encounter posting problems this is the only way I can help:
Send the post to va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and to paulbirds19@xxxxxxxxxxx simultaneously. If it does not post to VA-Bird I will forward it to Freelists for diagnosis.

Also, in the last week several members have been unknowingly unsubscribed, probably because VA-Bird posts are not being accepted by their email address. The common thread is that they all are using verizon.net for their email provider. Looks like the Verizon mail server or the spam filters they provide are causing problems. Call Verizon to resolve this problem. I can resubscribe you but if the root cause is not addressed you will be unsubscribed again.

Sorry for the long winded admin post in the middle of spring migration. As many of you know my solution to your VA-Bird email problems is to advise you to use one of the giant free Internet email services like Hotmail and dedicate that address for birding listservs. That way we also bypass the "out of office" messages that posters receive back from those of you using your work email addresses.

Now back to birds, all 788 of you subscribers and those lurkers from the archives.

Paul Mocko
Co-owner, VA-Bird listserv