[va-bird] Nighthawks, Gloucester Co., 9/2/06

  • From: Dave Hewitt <dhewitt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 13:57:27 -0400

In the evening of Saturday, 2 Sept (1845 - 1945), I saw approximately 30 Common Nighthawks milling about in the air over Rte 17 between Gloucester Point and the Gloucester courthouse area. The count is incomplete since I was in a car and sticking only to the Rte 17 corridor. Most birds were moving north, oddly. First for me in Gloucester and impressive views of most - very low in the sky.

We're still cleaning up from the storm here, and the only odd bird I have seen was what I could best ID as a Clapper Rail flying by the lab over the littered beach just after the swells died on Friday at 1400 hrs. I've kept my eyes eagerly open in the days following the mess, but nothing better has shown itself in the Gloucester Point area.

Dave Hewitt
Gloucester, VA

Dave Hewitt
Fisheries Science/Crustacean Ecology