[va-bird] Mason Neck SP bird walk 11-18

  • From: "Jodi Bucknam" <jodibucknam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:21:37 -0500

Birders,

BALD EAGLES were in abundance at the park this weekend. The chill in the air kept some folks at home and away from the park, but the eagles were out and vocal. Participants on the weekly bird walk enjoyed several groups of immatures circling over the bay. We also watched waterfowl on the bay, allowing the beginning birders in the group to get good solid looks at RUDDY DUCK and BUFFLEHEAD, and noting the intricacies of differentiating between LESSER and GREATER SCAUP. We had only LESSER, as could be expected for the area. A full species list follows below, including a couple extra species of note seen after the walk officially ended. A HORNED GREBE was spotted, for example, along with a RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET.

Please join us for the weekly bird walk every Saturday morning from 9:00 to 11:00am. We meet at the Mason Neck State Park Visitor Center, located at 7301 High Point Rd in Lorton, VA. We'll probably start out scoping the bay for waterfowl, then we'll hike the Bay View Trail. No reservations are needed. Please address any questions to me at the email and phone number listed below.

Horned Grebe
Great Blue Heron
Tundra Swan
Canada Goose
Lesser Scaup

Bufflehead
Ruddy Duck
Turkey Vulture
Bald Eagle
Ring-billed Gull

Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Downy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Northern Flicker

Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch

Carolina Wren
Winter Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Hermit Thrush
Northern Cardinal

Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco

Good birding,

Jodi Bucknam
Park Interpreter
Mason Neck State Park
7301 High Point Rd.
Lorton, VA 22079
703-339-2380
mninterpreter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stay up-to-date with your friends through the Windows Live Spaces friends list. http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mk