[va-bird] Mason Neck SP-- Redhead, Am. Coot, Gadwall, Winter Wren...

  • From: "Jodi Bucknam" <jodibucknam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 12:41:33 -0500

Birders,

What a cold but rewarding bird walk at Mason Neck State Park (Fairfax County) today! Extensive ice on Belmont Bay concentrated waterfowl in dense flocks, and also provided spots for the BALD EAGLES to stand. There was lots of eagle activity-- I counted eight at one point, and had many more sightings (but can't verify whether any were repeats). Probably the best birds of the morning were the eight REDHEAD that flew in to join LESSER SCAUP and RING-NECKED DUCKS, allowing for long observations through the scope. I stood there until my fingers were quite numb. Several dozen MALLARDS were out in the bay, with at least 80 AMERICAN COOT and two GADWALL also in the limited areas of clear water. Other highlights included the five woodpecker species observed--missed only Redheaded and Hairy--and the tiny WINTER WREN that flushed from right beside the trail, then perched on a fallen log about six feet from me, bobbing and kip-kipping indignantly for a few minutes before flying off. A full species list is below.

Please join us for the weekly bird walk here at Mason Neck State Park, in Lorton, VA, every Saturday from 9-11. We meet at the Visitor Center to start with scoping the bay for waterfowl, then hike the one-mile Bay View Trail. All are welcome and no reservations are needed. Please address any questions to me at the email below.

Great Blue Heron
Canada Goose
Gadwall

Mallard Duck
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck

Lesser Scaup
Ruddy Duck
Bald Eagle

American Coot
Ring-billed Gull
Mourning Dove

Downy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker

Northern Flicker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Blue Jay

American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse

White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Winter Wren

American Robin
Northern Cardinal
Song Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Red-winged Blackbird

American Goldfinch

Good birding,

Jodi Bucknam
Park Interpreter
Mason Neck State Park
7301 High Point Rd.
Lorton, VA 22079
703-339-2380
mninterpreter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stay up-to-date with your friends through the Windows Live Spaces friends list. http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mk