[va-bird] Re: Fwd: Canada Goose and Snapping Turtle

  • From: Christian Kessler <northraven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: WEalding@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 09:32:16 -0400

snapping turtles primarily eat fish & things like crayfish. they will in fact sit on the bottom, mouth wide open, and wiggle the tongue to mimic some small tempting invertebrate, then snap up the fish that comes to feed on the "invertebrate." feeding on young water birds is also common. and while the whole animal is a bit slow, that head and jaws can move like lightening. owned a 5 lb. turtle for a while as a kid, it was fun to watch. w/r jck

WEalding@xxxxxxx wrote:

I've received several e-mails including this eye-witness report indicating that snappers aren't so strictly vegetarian after all! I have to wonder if that is what happened to our goose.
*/Wendy Ealding/*
*/Chesterfield County/*

Re: [va-bird] Canada Goose and Snapping Turtle
From:
"Jay Keller" <azure.jay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 18:58:42 -0400
To:
<WEalding@xxxxxxx>

To:
<WEalding@xxxxxxx>

Wendy,
A few weeks ago at Huntley, I witnessed a large snapping turtle move more quickly than I thought they were able toward a young Canada Goose, jump on top of it, bite it in the face, and drag it under the water while it fought like crazy. It was amazing to see the spectacle unfold, and eliminate one of the great destroyers of the environment (summer geese).
Jay