[va-bird] Fwd: Birding around Augusta County

  • From: jfox <jjfoxfox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:04:44 -0400

All

It was indeed a good day for birding and it was a pleasure for me to meet Allen. If you ever want to find all the secrets of Augusta Co., he's your guy.

I reviewed Sibley about the Waterthrush after we split up and concur that it was a Northern. C'est la vie for me, great for the County list.

I want to mention that the Walnut Hills Campground, while private, is accessible to the public if anyone is interested in seeing the Barnacle Goose. It's a pretty uptone place and the pool's a draw for the local community; it's 3 bucks to spend the day there, the first hour's free.

I went by Reddish Knob on the way home and found a couple Least Flycatchers, one gobbling down a caterpillar, a female Blackburnian Warbler and a female Redstart, a couple Common Ravens and lots of TVs, which we had seen all day. These seem to be thriving.

Good birding

John Fox
Arlington