[va-bird] Re: Common Teal, Huntley Meadows

  • From: "Derek C. Richardson" <dcr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 12:56:05 -0500 (EST)

My full bird report is below, as submitted to eBird.

Regarding Wendy Ealding's post, the AOU Checklist (7th ed) still has Green-winged Teal listed as Anas Crecca; I guess I'm going to stick with that for now.

Report Details
Location name: Huntley Meadows Park
Observation date: 1/14/06
Duration: 1 hour(s) 55 minute(s)
# of people in birding party: 1 (but see below)
Are you reporting all the species you identified? Yes
Total # of species: 30
Observation type: Stationary Count
Start time: 9:20 AM
Distance covered: N/A
Area covered: N/A
Weather had a negative effect on my ability to collect birding information: No

Checklist diary notes:
A trip to Huntley Meadows to see the Greater White-fronted Goose was rewarded not only with fantastic looks at the goose (a life bird for me), but also good looks at a male Eurasian (Common) Teal (not a life bird because it's considered the same species as Green-winged Teal, Anas Crecca). Rob Hilton spotted the teal; Chris Bernard allowed me to take some pics through his scope. Members of the Northern Virginia Bird Club also let me tag along and use their scopes for the black ducks and the Gadwall---thanks! Weather: overcast, warm for the season, and very windy (cold front passing through). May have heard Belted Kingfisher.

Species Details
Species Name Number Reported
Greater White-fronted Goose 1
Canada Goose 500
Gadwall 6
American Black Duck 2
Mallard 150
Northern Shoveler 10
Northern Pintail 30
Eurasian (Common) Teal 1
Green-winged Teal 100
Ruddy Duck 1
Black Vulture 4
Turkey Vulture 2
Bald Eagle 1
Ring-billed Gull 50
Mourning Dove 5
Northern Flicker 5
American Crow 7
Fish Crow 1
Carolina Chickadee 4
Tufted Titmouse 5
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Field Sparrow 3
Song Sparrow 4
Swamp Sparrow 1
White-throated Sparrow 4
Dark-eyed Junco 2
Northern Cardinal 3
Red-winged Blackbird 60
House Finch 10
American Goldfinch 2

--
Derek C. Richardson, Ph.D. (CANTAB) ________
Astronomy, U Maryland, College Park MD 20742