[v-webmail] Max Attachment Size SOLUTION

  • From: Gary Richardson <gpr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: v-webmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:54:36 -0400

Hi all,

Well, I've figured out a solution to the 2MB max attachment size limitation on
my own. I hope the many people who have asked this question on the list can
have the success I've had with this solution.

FYI, I'm running apache 2.0.47 and php 4.3.2 and this works for me. Not sure
if it'll work for any other combination of versions.

I've found three different ways to overcome this issue. The key step to all of
these solutions for me was to STOP/START apache. This was the key. BIG key.

===============================

Solution #1:

edit the php.ini file (for me it was in /usr/local/lib). Change:

upload_max_filesize = 2M
post_max_size = 8M

upload_max_filesize = 10M
post_max_size = 10M

I don't know if it much mattered changing the post from 8 to 10, but I wanted
to keep them the same.

STOP/START apache

----------------------------

Solution #1a:

If the "10M" didn't work, I've read where apache v2 might be iffy with that,
so change 10M to "10000000" and try it again.

----------------------------

Solution #2:

If you run your own httpd server and Solution 1/1a didn't work, then edit your
web server's httpd.conf file and add the following two lines:

php_value upload_max_filesize 10000000
php_value post_max_size 10000000

STOP/START apache

----------------------------

Solution #3:

If you don't have access to the web server's httpd.conf file, and your
provider allows you to use .htaccess files, create one in your root v-webmail
directory (if one doesn't already exist) and add the following lines:

php_value upload_max_filesize 10000000
php_value post_max_size 10000000

Since you can't stop/start your web server in this case, there's no sense in
thinking about it. Anyway, with my testing the stop/start for this solution
wasn't required.

With all of these solutions I was able to attach a file > 2MB to an email (I
was testing with a 3.5MB file).

I still don't know if there's a way within the v-webmail code to override the
server-wide setting. If there is, it might be good to make the change that
way. But until I hear of a way, I'm sticking with one of these solutions.

To everyone who's been plagued by this problem, I hope one of these solutions
helps you.

Enjoy!

-Gary