<US>Mean Mothers

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <usualsuspects@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 09:28:24 -0500

.=:  U S U A L    S U S P E C T S  :=.
      from Father Pat Umberger

"Round up the usual suspects"  ~"Casablanca," the movie

F A T I M A / L O U R D E S / S P A I N / L I S I E U X / P A R I S
Twenty-Three are now signed up (four more this week).

It's shaping up to be a great Pilgrimage . to Portugal (Lisbon, Santerem,
Fatima), Spain (Alba de Tormes, Avila, Segovia, Burgos, Loyola, Pamplona &
Javier) and France (Lourdes, Paris & Lisieux).  Out farewell dinner will be
in a restaurant in the Eiffel Tower in Paris. The brochure is now on-line,
along with a map and links to our hotels! The very reasonable price includes
transportation, luggage transfers, all admissions, guide, escort, all
breakfasts and dinners and even a packed lunch for the 1st Class train ride
from Lourdes to Paris. As always we'll celebrate daily Mass and pray the
Rosary when we're traveling. For complete details, follow the link from:

        www.frpat.com

M A Y
Mother's Day  :::  Mary's Month :::  May Crowning Photos

Visit my Web Site for our Mother's Day page.  It includes some great links,
stories and pass-alongs.  Many of us who have lost moms find this a hard
time of the year.  Visit our Grief Support page as well. I hope you enjoy
it.  This is also Mary's Month.  Learn more about what we believe about Mary
as Catholics.  It's a great refresher for Catholics and it can be a great
awakening for those who are a bit suspicious about what we think of Mary.
Follow the link for May Crowning Photos, too!  Just click the link from:

       www.frpat.com

T E C H    T I P    F R O M    F A T H E R    P A T
Ten ways you can teach your kids to improve their Web safety. Just click the
link:

   http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/children/kidsonlinetips.mspx

D A    V I N C I    C O D E    R E S O U R C E S

The Da Vinci Code is fiction masquerading as truth.  Visit my site for some
helpful links to help expose the Da Vinci hoax.  Just follow the link from:

       www.frpat.com

A   T R E A T

A forward from member Nancy ...

    M E A N    M O T H E R S

    Someday when my children are old enough to
    understand the logic that motivates a parent,
    I will tell them:

    I loved you enough...to ask where you were going,
    with whom, and what time you would be home..
    I loved you enough...to insist that you save your
    money and buy a bike for yourself even though we
    could afford to buy one for you.

    I loved you enough...to be silent and let you
    discover that your new best friend was a creep.

    I loved you enough...to make you go pay for the
    bubble gum you had taken and tell the clerk,
    "I stole this yesterday and want to pay for it."

    I loved you enough...to stand over you for two hours
    while you cleaned your room, a job that should have
    taken 15 minutes.

    I loved you enough...to let you see anger,
    disappointment, and tears in my eyes.

    Children must learn that their parents aren't
    perfect.

    I loved you enough...to let you assume the
    responsibility for your actions even when the
    penalties were so harsh they almost broke my heart.
    But most of all, I loved you enough...to say NO
    when I knew you would hate me for it.

    Those were the most difficult battles of all.
    I'm glad I won them, because in the end you won, too.

    And someday when your children are old enough to
    understand the logic that motivates parents,
    you will tell them....

    Was your Mom mean? I know mine was.

    We had the meanest mother in the whole world!

    While other kids ate candy for breakfast,
    we had to have cereal, eggs, and toast.

    When others had a Pepsi and a Twinkie for lunch,
    we had to eat sandwiches.

    And you can guess our mother fixed us a dinner
    that was different from what other kids had, too.

    Mother insisted on knowing where we were at all
    times. You'd think we were convicts in a prison.
    She had to know who our friends were,
    and what we were doing with them.

    She insisted that if we said we would be gone
    for an hour, we would be gone for an hour or less.

    We were ashamed to admit it, but she had the nerve
    to break the Child Labor Laws by making us work.
    We had to wash the dishes, make the beds,
    learn to cook, vacuum the floor, do laundry,
    empty the trash and all sorts of cruel jobs.

    I think she would lie awake at night thinking
    of more things for us to do.

    She always insisted on us telling the truth,
    the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

    By the time we were teenagers, she could read
    our minds. Then, life was really tough!

    Mother wouldn't let our friends just honk the horn
    when they drove up. They had to come up to the door
    so she could meet them. While everyone else could
    date when they were 12 or 13, we had to wait until
    we were 16.

    Because of our mother we missed out on lots of
    things other kids experienced. None of us have
    ever been caught shoplifting, vandalizing other's
    property or ever arrested for any crime. It was
    all her fault.

    Now that we have left home, we are all educated,
    honest adults.

    We are doing our best to be mean parents just like
    Mom was.

    I think that is what's wrong with the world today.

    It just doesn't have enough mean moms.

May God Bless you and those you love, and keep you safe,

Father Pat

www.frpat.com
www.cmonback.com
www.frpat.com/fatima_interested.htm

U S U A L    S U S P E C T S

These are called ?Usual Suspects? posts.  In the movie ?Casablanca? when there
was a problem the police chief said, ?Round up the usual suspects.?  When
forwarding inspiring e-mails I found I was sending them to the same people over
and over again.  The ?Casablanca? quote came to mind and the mail-list took on
the name ?Usual Suspects.?

The <US>Usual Suspects Group began as a separate e-mail list with..  A post or
two are sent each week, consisting of inspirational and humorous Stories and
anecdotes forwarded to me by our members.

Posts to this group are not intended to offend, hurt or discriminate against
anybody. They come from different theologies and points of view that aren't
necessarily Father Pat's, Catholic, or that of Father Pat's Diocese or the
parish he serves. Some are humorous, others inspirational, most are both. They
are simply food for thought, prayer, enjoyment and good conversation. If you
don't wish to receive them, please unsubscribe. It is not our intent to pass on
copyrighted material. Many of the posts we receive don't quote a source, so we
can't be absolutely sure. We ask our members *not* to submit copyrighted
material.

Stories for possible Usual Suspects inclusion should
be submitted at our Web Site.

   http://frpat.com/stories.htm

Please do not submit copyrighted material.

Subscribe/Unsubscribe right here:

   www.frpat.com/morningprayer.htm#us

You can also set Vacation Mode there.

Forward this e-mail freely to family members and friends.
Encourage them to subscribe as well!

Why not join our Morning Prayer or This Weekend List.  Full details are here:

       www.frpat.com/morningprayer.htm