<USS Meridian> "Defining Perfection"

  • From: Vivica Christian <wistful_fancy_meridian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussmeridian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 19:08:04 -0700 (PDT)

Defining Perfection
Oridian Starfire
and
Vivica Christian

No one ever liked going to talk to counselors. Nosey, invasive, and generally
goody two-shoe-ish, they seemed to be classified by most. However, Vivica
Christian was not one of those people. She liked counselors and was fascinated
with their work. Of course, the insatiable curiosity of the scientist within
her led her to studying people just as much as stars or germs or plants -
though the latter was of little interest to her.

And so, when the time came for her 'after away mission' counseling session, she
didn't dodge or shirk or make up thirteen odd excuses on washing her hair,
feeding a non-existent pet tarantula, cleaning warp nacelles, or debugging Lt.
Garnet's potato plants. Could've been fun though, Vivica thought with a smirk
as she approached Starfire's office.

The outer office door wisped open and she beamed a bright smile that contrasted
nicely with her café au lait complexion, pushing those pesky curls out of her
face once more.

"Aye yup, looks like you were expecting me, eh, ninja shrink?" she winked,
having seen the counselor on the away mission with some sort of wicked looking
knives and quick movements. She heard some crewman mutter the nickname and it
stuck in her mind.

The office was the same as it always was. The mini-rock garden was situated in
the opposite corner to the door and in the middle area were an assortment of
pillows low to the ground table. A normal desk and chair were located in the
second corner and on the wall above the desk hung the traditional samurai
blades.

His eyes opened slowly as Vivica spoke, she was at least not upset about being
here, that's a good start. "I imagine you are referring to my use of the
katanas, no?" He smiled at her as he motioned for her to sit down. "Old
Japanese fighting style, which I've found to still be quite effective, though
it does have its faults." He smiled. "Would you care for some tea?"

"Ah, no thanks. I'm not much on tea, though anything else with bubbles and
caffeine will do nicely." She looked around and wondered where to sit.

"Computer, please replicate something with bubbles and caffeine, drink of
course." Oridian replied as he rose from his seat on the pillows. "Please, have
a seat. I know they are not standard chairs, but I find them to be quite
comfortable. If anything there is a chair right by my desk if the pillows do
not suit you."

As he finished, Oridian crossed over to the replicator and got the drink from
it. "So, then, was this your first away mission since joining Starfleet?"

Crossing her legs at the ankles, Vivica lowered herself to the fluffy seat and
accepted the drink. "Sorta playin' roulette, there, aren't you, Mr. Starfire?
Asking the computer to just concoct some sort of drink?" Her chocolate eyes
danced as she teased him. Setting the glass to the side, untasted, she pulled
her knees up to her chest and clasped her hands around them. "To answer your
question, no, not my first away mission, but it was the first where I've ever
shot anyone - even if it was just to stun them." She shrugged lightly, telling
herself it really wasn't a big issue.

"Interesting." Oridian's reply was simple as he poured himself a cup of green
tea from a pitcher. "How do you feel about your performance on the mission, now
that you've had some time to think about it? Not just the shooting part
either." He smiled as he sat down across the short table from her.

Reaching up out of habit to push her hair back out of her face, she thought
about it for a moment. "Well, I was handed an unfamiliar piece of equipment and
told to find our target and I managed, so I guess that's good." Vivica dropped
her eyes to the top of her knees, trying to think up anything else.

Oridian watched her over the top of his cup of tea for a moment. "You do not
sound too happy with this."

"I'm not happy nor unhappy, really. I felt inadequate to perform the job, but I
got it done which leaves behind a measure of pride. Is that wrong?"

"Not at all, though I think you should be much more happy with the outcome than
you are giving yourself credit for. Having been on the away team with you, I'd
say you performed admirably out there, even with unfamiliar equipment." As he
spoke Oridian had gotten up and was making his way over towards the rock garden
in a corner.

"Aye yup, doc, I'll get right on flipping that switch to change how it feels."
Though her words were sarcastic, she said it gently.

Her words hung on the air for a moment as Oridian stared at the garden. "Come
on over here Ms. Christian, take a look at this." He motioned to the small but
still and peaceful rock garden he had tried to recreate in his office.

Hoisting herself to her feet, Vivica stood, knocking over the soda glass in the
process, "Holy bananas, I'm a bloody buffoon!" she cursed, scooping up the
glass and moving pillows.

"Don't worry about that, I'll take care of it when you leave," he smiled as he
walked over and collected the glass from her. "It?s fine, happens much more
often then you'd think."

Vivica clucked her tongue at herself. "I'm not the nervous type, I'm just
clutzy, really," she said, her accent getting thicker with the embarrassment.

"I just hope you?re not this way with your experiments in the lab." He chuckled
as he put the glass on his desk. "The pillows will be fine. I know a very good
cleaner on Earth who will be able to take care of them." Oridian turned back
and looked at Vivica. "Do you believe in perfection Ms. Christian?"

Flashing an embarrassed grin, she admitted, "Sometimes I am, much to my
chagrin." Vivica moved across the room to the garden, "Define perfection, Mr.
Starfire."

"Do you consider that garden to be perfect?" He smiled, answering her question
with a question.

Returning the smile, she asked, "Do you?"

"Yes and no," he replied as appeared next to her, looking down at the garden.
"The rocks are not exactly where they should be, and the river does not flow
exactly as it should and that?s mostly due to the fact that I was unable to get
the air currents in this part of the room to direct in the proper path. I am
rather... unfamiliar with the unique traits of some pieces of technology or
science." He closed his eyes for a second and let the words still before
continuing. "However, I find it to be perfect, given the situation and outcome."

"Not to be rude, but the point of this exercise is..."

"To show you that perfection is simply in the moment and situation, that?s all.
In your situation you were given unfamiliar equipment and asked to do things
not normally done in your field. I believe the outcome of that situation was...
perfect."

"Ah, I see... but then we could get all philosophical and argue the evils of
the 'ends justify the means' ideals," she chuckled lightly. "But I won't go
there. I can accept your words and see the side of truth to them."

"Well if you feel like going into that discussion I've got plenty of time."
Oridian crossed and looked out his window to the stars as they passed by.
"However my time with you has expired so unless you wish to stay, I will not
confine you anymore, Ms. Christian." He looked back and smiled.

"So I'm mentally stable enough to play with star charts again?"

"You were never mentally unstable to begin with." He chuckled to himself for a
moment. "Nor did I think you would not be. I mainly just wanted to have a chat
with you, since I had not met you before recent experiences."

"Too true, ninja shrink." Pausing a moment to study him, Vivica tipped her head
to the side and said, "I may take you up on that conversation offer, but not on
counseling time. Just chatting. Maybe dinner some time."

"Whenever you?re free Ms. Christian, just send me a comm. I don't keep myself
too busy with appointments, dinner would be marvelous," he added as he looked
back out the window for a moment and then looked back at her.

"It's a date. I'll see you soon, Counselor." Vivica walked out of the office,
head held high, wondering what sort of interesting mischief she could think up
in the science labs, smile firmly intact.

Interesting girl, Oridian thought as he crossed back to his slightly stained
pillows and gathered them up. Looked as though Onno would have some business
from Oridian after all.

Yahoo! Mail Mobile