[ussgrayson] Sacred Characters

  • From: Anna <tkilyle@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ussgrayson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 05:27:51 -0400

_Sacred Characters
_by Self, Quon Mei, and Senek

/"An ambassador has no need of spies; his character is always sacred"--George Washington/

Everything was ready and Selyf had rejoined the Ambassador back on the planet. She appeared perturbed but he would not intrude. Rather than that, he simply awaited her at the transporter terminal. "Ambassador?"

A woman with elegant slightly Asian features stepped through the door. Robes made of dark blue silk floated around her. Her hair was cut short to her head and her dark eyes saw everything. "I am ready, Selyf. Contact the ship for transport."

Selyf pressed the comm-connection.  "Grayson, two to beam up."

Senek nodded to the transporter operator. It was a male voice that spoke but then he knew from his briefing that the ambassador was bringing an aide with her. Though it was illogical to feel apprehension, Senek acknowledged, to himself at least, that the ambassador coming aboard made it official: the Grayson was fully in use. Anyone else might have smiled. He simply stood even straighter than he usually did.

Mei felt the transporter take hold of them and in a moment they reformed on the station. Selyf stepped forward, on front of her, and said, "This is Quon Mei, Ambassador of the Federation, and I am Selyf, her assistant."

"You are welcomed aboard the USS Grayson," Senek said with a respectful nod. "Madam Ambassador, forgive the lack of a greeting party but the ship is in the process of making to leave. Her trip her was not the official send off."

"That is acceptable, Captain," Mei said as she stepped forward. "Thank you for taking us to our posting. You are aware of where we are going, are you not?"

"I am," Senek told her. "Starfleet Command asked if I wished to defer the assignment to another ship, in deference to our history. I obviously didn't see the necessity, especially when my first officer is Romulan."

"The Humans are unnecessarily sentimental," she observed. "I also have been asked if I would like to hand over my placement to another, less connected official."

"Come, I will show you to the guest quarters my XO has assigned you," he said with a nod. "I had chance to visit my family and my grandparents were quite surprised the matter even came up. Admiral Suvuk was almost offended at the insinuation."

"I can understand that," Mei said simply.

"I have already been aboard," Selyf informed them. "I have assisted your Second Officer in assigning the appropriate rooms and office space."

"My aide is quite efficient, Captain."

Senek refused to exhibit surprise but he was vaguely annoyed, even if that were an illogical reaction. It was his ship and he didn't care for surprises. "I see. I hope they meet your needs then. Then you've met my XO I take it."

"No, but I have met your Second Officer, Lieutenant Commander Melanie Redgrave," he replied. "She was most accommodating. Though I believe she found our requests unreasonable."

"That is supposition, Selyf, and thus not a fair assumption," Mei told him softly, her dark eyes firm but kind in her reprimand.

"Oh?  Is there a problem, Mr. Selyf?" Senek asked.

It was Mei who answered. "There is no problem, we are quite impressed with what we have seen of your crew so far, Captain."

"Then I shall rephrase the question: what was the issue that may, or may not, have been unreasonable?" Senek asked steadily.

"We requested three rooms, each adjoining one to the other in a line," Selyf informed him.

"My aide's room adjoins mine and his secretary's adjoins his," Mei added. "We have always had such arrangements."

"Might one logically assume Mr. Redgrave found that request difficult for some reason?" Senek asked.

"That is a reasonable assumption, Captain," Mei said with a small nod.

Selyf looked at Mei for just a moment, very little of his inner turmoil crossing his face. The Ambassador seemed, to him, fickle in her choice to believe the Captain over his own assessment. He inclined his head stiffly. "As you say."

Pointedly ignoring Selyf, Senek looked at Mei. "Then I hope what she was able to provide will suit your needs, Madam Ambassador."

"I have every faith in your officer's abilities," Mei said. "I am quite sure this journey will be comfortable."

"The Grayson is newly refitted down to the plumbing fixtures," Senek noted. "I should think she is quite comfortable and esthetically pleasing."

"Are there holodeck facilities aboard?" Mei asked. She refused to look between the two of them, they were both over a head and shoulders taller than she was and it was undignified to strain her neck. "I wish to spend time observing the culture that I will be surrounded by while I have time during transit."

"There are," Senek said with a nod. "There are several holoprograms that I'm told are quite genuine. There is also one special one created by my maternal grandmother: of Vulcan before The Loss."

"That would be," Mei paused briefly then added, "I believe I would like to see that. My father was quite young and remembers little of Vulcan."

"In this case, I will use the word fortunate when I say that we are fortunate that all of my grandparents were there and came away safely," Senek said soberly, "though Suvuk was aboard ship, far away, at the time."

"My grandparents were stationed on Earth, my mother and her parents were on a science vessel," she said simply.

"It is yet another reason I didn't turn down this assignment. This ship is named for a great woman and I sincerely doubt she would have approved of shying away from the difficult simply because of its difficulty," Senek explained.

"Perhaps that is why I have chosen to be the Federation's Ambassador to the Romulan Empire," Mei offered. "If we have strong ties with the people, perhaps we can forgive all wrong-doings. As illogical as it is, I know of several of our people who are still unforgiving."

"An excellent point," Senek stated. He shook his head slightly. "There are those who still speak of returning to our mutual roots though to avenge The Loss. It is quite disturbing."

"I find it so also. Logic is the only true way forward, we must console ourselves and move forward. That is what Spock would wish us to do."

"Logic and compassion," Senek agreed.  "He was well known for both."

--
"...and I had done nothing...but shoot an unarmed Cardassian in his
underwear."-Li Nalas