[ussgrayson] Preparing for Guests

  • From: Rhiannon <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ussgrayson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 13:07:25 -0400

³Preparing for Guests²
Melanie Redgrave, Vevay Davis, Selyf

The Ambassador was very particular about her accommodations.  Her chief aide
and her secretary both knew exactly what she wanted, how she wished to live
between Seleya and Romulus.  Selyf, her aide, closest companion and student,
entered the code to connect his office comm with the ship, the USS Grayson.
He would do all he could to make her journey easy and comfortable.

Sitting on the bridge Melanie worked from the operations station. This was
her first command position but hardly her first go at working Ops. She had a
bit of knack for keeping her ships well organized. Her last captain, a
rather red faced Yank, said it was because she was English. When the signal
came in from the Ambassador¹s aide she answered it herself, ³Grayson here,
what can I do for you Mister Selyf?²

"Myself and a colleague wish to come aboard so that we may prepare the
Ambassador's quarters and office while she is aboard," Selyf informed her.

Melanie quickly called up the room assignments and began loading information
onto a padd. Ambassadors were a prissy lot and she knew better then to
interfere. ³Of course, we¹ll have you beamed aboard as soon as possible.
Will you be needing anything that I can get ahead of time for you?²

"We will require two additional rooms, one for myself and one for my
colleague.  The office will need to have an outer area in which we can work
while the Ambassador works in the main office."

³Would you like the quarters to be adjoining or simply in the same area?²
She asked as she began writing out a work order for the lads in Engineering.

"Adjoining.  I will require immediate access to the Ambassador's rooms,"
Selyf told her.  He looked up as a young woman in her early 20s wandered in,
consulting a PADD.  "And my colleague's rooms will need to adjoin mine, but
not the Ambassador's."

The dark haired, blue-eyed Brit added the instructions to the order and then
sent it on to Engineering. ³Everything will be ready for you when you
arrive, Mister Selyf. We shall beam you aboard in about twenty minutes.
Grayson out.²

Selyf switched off the comm and rose smoothly to his feet.  "Have you
completed the Ambassador's packing?"

"Yup!"  Vevay didn't smile but there was brightness to the sage-green-eyed
girl that gleamed cheerfulness.  Her long brown hair was pulled into a
ponytail and it swung and danced as she bopped around the office, carefully
packing away Selyf's belongings as well.  "She's still with her olds, told
me to tell you she'd be another day.  She said she hopes the Grayson doesn't
leave without her."

One of Selyf's eyebrows rose slowly to his close-cut hairline.  "Those were
her exact words?"

Vevay snorted and turned to him.  "No. Those're my words.  Her words were 'I
hope that the Captain understands the need to address family obligations and
will be able to stay in orbit until I have completed my duties.'"

Fifteen minutes later Melanie¹s panels beeped at her. The teams were
finishing up the room modifications and she had just enough time to walk to
the transporter room to meet their guests. As she rose from her station her
posh London accent thickened just a little as she muttered, ³Bloody spoiled
brats the lot of ?em.² At the odd look she got from her replacement she
simply waved him off and answered simply. ³Ambassadors.² The young man gave
her an understanding nod.

³The Ambassador¹s people are ready to come aboard ma¹am.² The tech said as
soon as Melanie walked in.

³Bring them up then.² Melanie replied.

It was not his preferred manner to travel but Selyf understood the need.  He
stepped off the transporter pad and inclined his head to the woman before
him.  "Lieutenant Commander," he said softly.  "My name is Selyf, this is my
companion, Miss Davis."

Bright blue eyes blinked once after Melanie took the young woman in. She was
rather stunning for such a young girl. Not that Melanie was old, she was
just in her mid-thirties, but the girl couldn¹t be more then twenty. She
quickly turned her attention to the Vulcan. ³Welcome aboard the Grayson,
Mister Selyf. Miss Davis. I am Melanie Redgrave, the second officer.²

"Hi!" Vevay chimed with a wave.  She jumped off the transporter and stepped
over with a PADD in her hand.  "Here's the list of all of the Ambassador's
things that we need beamed up.  I'm here to help with that.  Selyf's gonna
go see to her rooms."

"If you would tell me where I can find them," Selyf said.

Melanie actually smiled at the bouncy young woman before glancing at the
padd. She then handed it to the transporter tech. ³See that those things are
beamed to the appropriate rooms.²

³Aye Commander.² The tech replied with a slight nod.

³Now, I¹d be happy to show you to your rooms.² Melanie said as she switched
her gaze between the two. ³Office or living first?²

"Office," they said in unison.  Vevay bit her lip to keep from giggling,
knowing how much it bothered Selyf that she was so flighty.  "The
Ambassador's a real work-hard kind," she explained.  "But she can sleep just
about anywhere so long as there's a space big enough."

Again Melanie couldn¹t help but smile. ³This way then.² She said, her accent
once again the posh one she used while on duty. ³We¹ve put the Ambassador on
the same deck as our First officer and Diplomatic officer as far as office
space. Your cabins will of course be on the deck allotted for your lot.²

"That is most considerate," Selyf observed as he flowed to follow her.

"Very cool," Vevay nodded.  She peered around, smiling at all the people and
how shiny the ship was.  "You're a fellow Brit, right?"

³London born and breed.² Melanie beamed. ³With a short time spent in Dublin
as a girl.²

"Welsh born, Scottish bred, myself," Vevay told her.  "I was raised by my
Granny, well sort of Granny, in the Highlands, not far from Aberdeen."

Melanie smiled at the young woman as they waited on a lift. ³My mother often
took me north for weekends. She rather liked the cold for some ungodly
reason, as if London all wet and dreary in the winter weren¹t cold enough.²
There was something about the young woman that Melanie felt intrigued with.
It was odd actually. She hardly found new people all the interesting.

"Oh I've been to London loads of times," Vevay said cheerfully.  "Me and my
brother go shopping there when I get time off.  He's 16 but he still loves
Hamleys."

³Nothing wrong with that.² Melanie chuckled. ³I still can¹t walk past
Hamley¹s without going in, and I can¹t go in without buying something. Last
time it was a rather cute Romulan ragdoll.² Melanie blinked at herself as
they entered the lift. Why on Earth had she shared that so easily?

"Lego," Vevay snorted.  "All my brother ever buys in there is Lego.
Normally a ship, last time it was this ship, he wanted one because his
sister was going on it.  It's kinda cute in a really annoying way."

Melanie gave the younger woman a warm smile. ³That sounds sweet actually.
Perhaps I could get a model of the ship that you could give to him. We¹re
rather new and such things tend to be hot items among certain lots.²

"Newlyn said it was a refit and it's the best ship out, he calls it the
Lady," Vevay said with a tragic sigh.  "He's an engineering geek, a total
loss, I swear."

Selyf settled dark eyes on his companion and raised an eyebrow.  "The
universe requires many different people, even the overly talkative ones."
"Oops," Vevay said with a flush, "I think that's a hint to shut up."

³Its quite alright.² Melanie said as she led them out of the turbo lift. ³I
hate lift rides where everyone is silent and still. Its rather creepy.² She
walked past the XO¹s office, and the DO¹s towards the office were a small
group of engineers were leaving from. ³Here we are then. An outer office
with two work stations, and a larger inner officer for the Ambassador.²

Selyf marched into it, doing a cursory inspection, before heading into the
inner office.  Vevay grinned at it all then pulled herself up to sit on one
of the desks.  "Dibs on this one!"

God she missed having the energy and optimism of being twenty-something. ³If
you provide me with a list of things you¹ll be needing I¹ll see they¹re
delivered before Ambassador¹s arrival tomorrow.²

Selyf returned to the outer office and fixed his eyes on Vevay once again.
"Please assist the Lieutenant Commander, Miss Davis.  I will see that your
desk is kept for you."

Vevay half smiled at him.  Even if he was a straight guy, he could be a
darling sometimes.  "Thanks," she said cheerfully.

³I¹m afraid us meager second officer¹s aren¹t allotted office space. Would
you mind if we worked in the crew lounge?² Melanie asked as she looked at
the young woman. ³It¹ll be relatively empty this time of day given we¹re not
due to be fully crewed until tomorrow morning. Besides, I¹m dying for a
cuppa.²

"Sure thing!  And I'd love a cup of tea too," Vevay said brightly.  She
leapt from the desktop, landing with a jump.  "Lead the way, Commander!"

Melanie nodded at the Vulcan. ³If you wish to join us the computer will tell
you how to find us.² She then headed out of the office, fully expecting
Vevay to be right behind her. ³We should probably add anything that will be
needed for the living quarters as well, Miss Davis.²

"Sure thing, and call me Vevay or V," she said.  "I've never got used to the
whole Miss Davis thing.  Even the Ambassador calls me Vevay.  Only Selyf
calls me Miss Davis."

³Well, he is Vulcan.² Melanie mused, her eyes bright with just a hint of her
off duty self, though she was still careful to school her accent. ³They tend
to be rather uptight. And please, call me Melanie.² Once in the lounge
Melanie stopped at the bar and asked the young man working to brew a pot of
the tea she¹d brought with her from London. She kept some in the lounge, but
kept most in her cabin. She refused to drink replicated tea. ³I hope you
like rooibos teas. I¹ve asked Liam to brew a nice ginger coconut blend I
found in South Africa last summer.²
"Sounds pretty," Vevay said with a grin.  "I'll drink just about anything,
really."

Melanie waved the young woman towards a table by the window, and then sat
across from her. ³I¹m a bit of a snob when it comes to tea. I¹d rather drink
tar then tea from a bloody replicators. I blame my mother.² She smiled
brightly.

"So long as it's wet and warm, I don't care," Vevay shrugged.  "That's years
spent camping with my brother in the Highlands.  Great fun but the tea sucks
out of tin cups."

³Can¹t save I¹ve ever gone camping before.² Melanie admitted. ³Always wanted
to though.²

"Really?"  Vevay tilted her head and tried to imagine never going camping
and just couldn't.  "Next time you're on Earth, just call my brother and
he'll take you.  I'll probably be on Romulus."

Melanie waited until the tea service she¹d left in the lounge was placed on
the table before asking, ³Are you excited about it? Living on Romulus I
mean.² She paused to pour the tea. ³It sounds like an amazing opportunity.²

Vevay shrugged a shoulder as she took one of the cups and blew across the
surface of the liquid.  "I guess."

³That doesn¹t sound like a very excited tone.² Melanie said softly as she
tended to her own tea. She sipped it and sighed happily.

"It's a great opportunity and I love working with the Ambassador but...  I
wanna go home," she admitted softly.  "I miss my Granny."

Melanie could relate, which made her reach out and place her hand over the
younger woman¹s. ³It isn¹t easy being away from the ones you love. I haven¹t
seen my Mum in nearly a year, other then comm. calls. It was odd being in
London this last time without her. When will you get a holiday?²

"I don't know," Vevay shrugged.  She slipped her hand into Melanie's and
smiled sadly.  "Couple of years maybe?"

³The diplomatic corps must think you have no life.² Melanie said as her
bright blue eyes flickered to where their hands rested on the table. Then
she returned her gaze to the young woman¹s sage green eyes. What a lovely
color, she thought.

"None but Mei will let me go home if I want to," she sighed.  "I don't want
to disappoint her.  She took me on when I had no qualifications and she had
no reason to at all.  She's helping me get my degree then I want to go into
the diplomatic corps just like her."

³Even she must understand the need to be around family.² The dark hared Ops.
officer said. ³Asking for time off wouldn¹t be letting her down.²

"Yeah, it would," Vevay said firmly.  "I've got to be strong and show her
how good I can be at my job."

Melanie squeezed the young woman¹s hand. ³Being strong and being good at
your job doesn¹t mean you have to give up you¹re loved ones. How well will
you perform your duties when you miss your family so much it starts to
interfere?²

Vevay shrugged.  She wanted to take her hand back but she also wanted to
leave it where it was.  It felt very familiar but in a good way.  "I guess I
just ask her for help."

³Wouldn¹t it be easier to ask her for time off?² Melanie asked.

"Okay, say I take time off and she finds a new assistant to take over while
I'm gone, then say for argument's sake, she prefers the new guy to me...
Then what?" Vevay asked.

³You file a wrongful dismissal suit.² Melanie answered. ³You can¹t loose
your job just for needing time off. Even Star Fleet allows its officers to
have lives.²

"I couldn't do that!  She's the best!" Vevay gaped at Melanie as if she had
two heads.

Melanie gave her a warm smile as she said, ³Then have enough faith in her to
know and understand the needs of the people she has around her.²

Vevay sighed and shrugged.  "I guess..."

³When was the last time you talked to your gran?² Melanie asked.

"Last week," Vevay said, "why?"

With her hand still in Vevay¹s, Melanie pulled the girl to her feet and took
her to the computer terminal behind the bar. She used her codes to open a
channel to Earth and then smiled, ³Go on then, sweets. Give her a ring.
It¹ll help until you get back home.²

"Um..." Vevay was a little stunned but she typed in the code as she sat.
Within a moment, the face of a very cheerful teenager filled the screen.
"Newlyn?  Why aren't you at school?"

"Yo, sis!" Newlyn cheered. "Guess what, guess what!"

"What..."
"I totally passed the Academy entrance exam, I'm going to San Francisco!!!"

Vevay let out a bright laugh.  "AWESOME!"

The bubbly brightness that Melanie had seen shine in the young woman¹s eyes
early returned the moment she started talking to her brother. It made
Melanie smile.

"Oh my god, is she going mad yet?" Vevay grinned.

"Totally, she's already packing me sooooooooo many cakes and sweets and..."

"Oh god, sugar rush," Vevay giggled.  She turned to Melanie and said,
"Granny always sends us off with so much sweet stuff, we bounce off the
walls for a week."

Melanie laughed. ³The thought of you being even more bubbly is a little
scary, Vevay.²

Newlyn peered as far as he could then grinned.  "Oh you should see us both
on sugar, it's so so funny, we just talk and talk until everyone faints from
holding their breath so long."

³Sucking the air out of the room huh?² Melanie asked.

Vevay laughed brightly and shook her head.  "For some reason, people get
really breathless when a person doesn't actually draw breath when they
talk."

³Sympathy lack of oxygen.² Melanie agreed with a nod.

"Oh, Newlyn, this is Melanie Redgrave, she's the Second Officer on this
ship.  Melanie, this is my really annoying brother, Newlyn."

Melanie nodded in greeting. ³A pleasure to meet you soon-to-be cadet.² She
grinned. ³Congratulations.²

"Hi!  I know, isn't it like totally AWESOME!" Newlyn cheered.  "I can't
wait."

Vevay was practically brimming with pride but she also wanted to be there to
help him move, see him in his uniform.  "Oh you are gonna be the best cadet
ever, little bro."

³Word of advice, stay off the lawn.² Melanie said as she put a hand on
Vevay¹s shoulder and squeezed. ³And you have to have dinner at Sisco¹s your
first week.²

"I so have this long list of things I wanna do," Newlyn grinned.

Melanie smiled at the boy. She could see the same excitement in his eyes
that she¹d seen in his sisters. ³Just don¹t forget the studying part.
Freshmen tend to do that, trust me.²

"I won't!  I'm gonna be the best engineer Starfleet's ever seen, I swear
it," he told them, his cheerfulness belying his seriousness.

³That¹s some little brother you have there, Vevay.² Melanie said with a
bright laugh.

"He's the best," she grinned, "Even if he is really annoying."

"Love you too, big sis," he snorted.  "But I gotta go.  Gonna get PACKING!"

³Good luck, cadet.² Melanie said with a small wave.

The comm went black and Vevay sat back with a half smile on her lips.  "That
was good," she said softly.

Melanie leaned back against the bar and smiled warmly a the younger woman.
³I¹m glad it helped.²

"Yeah, I just wish...  He's going off to see all new things and I'm not even
going to be there."  Vevay touched the screen then shook her head.  "Wish I
was going with him."

³To be with him or do you really want to join Star Fleet?² Melanie asked as
she looked down into moss green eyes. ³Cause if it¹s to be with him trust me
when I say the last thing a brand new cadet wants is a parent or older
sibling cramping their groove. If you have a desire to join, you know most
ships are being given diplomatic officers now.²

Vevay blinked into pretty blue eyes and was stunned to see such gentle
strength there.  "I don't want to be a cadet or an officer.  I like my job.
I just miss my brother.  I've always been there to take care of him."

Melanie nodded back towards their table, where Liam had placed a fresh pot
tea. As they walked she said, ³And I¹ve no doubt he¹s grateful for that, but
this is his time to show you he can take care of himself because you and
gran helped him to grow up.²

"He's a good boy," Vevay sighed.  She picked up her cup again then put it
down and sighed yet again.

³To strong?² Melanie asked, though she was clearly inviting the younger
woman to keep talking if she wished.

"Nah, I'm just not in the mood for tea," Vevay said with a shrug.  "He's a
very good kid though.  Now I want to prove that I can let him go, let him
grow up."

³You will.² Melanie said before getting up. She went to the bar and then
returned with two shots of Jameson¹s. She set one in front of Vevay and one
for herself. ³I¹m sure he¹ll be trying just as hard to prove to you he can
be a good man and a good officer.²

She took the shot and downed it in one.  Hissing on a breath, she grinned.
"Smooth, not as smooth as a good single malt scotch, but not bad," Vevay
chuckled.  "Thanks."

Melanie downed her own drink before grinning. ³Always easier to start the
second half of my shift with a little warmth to go on.²

"And I thought Starfleet Officers weren't meant to drink on duty," Vevay
snorted.

³When I¹m on break, I¹m not on duty.² That was her argument and she was
sticking to it. ³Besides, that¹s clearly a yank rule.²

"Coz Americans have no idea how to hold their alcohol," Vevay said with a
wink.

That made Melanie laugh. ³Glad to see someone else on this ship as a proper
understanding of yanks. I was starting to feel rather alone.²

"Well, you've got a fellow Brit until we get to Romulus," Vevay said with a
smile.

For some reason Melanie suddenly hoped it took awhile to get to the Romulan
homeworld. ³It¹ll be welcome company for sure.²