<USS Eagle> USS Eagle: Lt JG Josephine Tracy's Duty Log

  • From: LtJGJosieTracy@xxxxxxx
  • To: usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:32:02 EST

To: Commodore Fyrstk
Re: Science Department Evaluation
From: Lieutenant Junior Grade Josephine Tracy
         Chief Science  Officer
         USS Eagle
Stardate: 58955.02

This is the first time I have had to write an evaluation so please  bear with
me on this. During the encounter with the alien ship  the science department
worked quite efficiently. The scanners picked up the ship  as it was
decloaking then gave quick and as accurate as possible scans  of the ship. The
alien
vessel itself was an immense  black sphere twice the size of the Earth. I think
this thing would even  scare the Borg. Our scanners could not discern any
means of propulsion nor  weapons of any type.  Of course when we attempted to
hail
the vessel it  took hostile action and captured the Eagle in a tractor beam.
Lt. Cmdr.  Gwenivere Marqusa was able to disable the beam and Lt Lost was
able to maneuver  the ship away from the sphere. The aliens then fired their
weapons. The science  scanners still could not pinpoint any weapons but the
vessel
hurled a vast ball  of plasma at our ship. I did get a chance to scan plasma
ball as it passed us.  Tactical may wish to view this data to see if there may
be some way to detonate  or dissipate the plasma if we should ever find
ourselves in this situation  again. Scans did indicate that the balls of plasma
were just that. No electronic  guidance systems. When fired the balls traveled
in
a straight line until  they impacted with something or traveled far enough to
lose cohesion. Attempts  to our run the sphere proved to be futile as well.
It was quite remarkable  that a sphere of that size could travel that fast to
keep up with our  ship. I also found it quite amazing that they could also fire
the balls of  plasma while traveling at warp speeds. During the battle I
guess the aliens  got annoyed with my scans as they sent some sort of feed back
through the sensor  array that shorted out my console. I'm going to have to ask
engineering to see  if they can install some sort of overload compensator in
my console. Since  I am physically linked to my console by a cable connected to
my data jack  implant I was forced to yank the cord on the cord to prevent
the  shortage that occurred to my console from effecting me. I had thought that
Max,  who was working inside the console at the time to try to match the alien
 vessel with anything in our database had been able to transfer himself to
another console. I found out I was wrong as I lost all communication  with Max.
This is the hard part. The only way for me to lose contact with  Max is if
his personality program is shut down entirely.  I felt as if my  soul itself
had
been torn in half. Ever since I woke up on that operating  table and Max
introduced himself to me he's always been there. I was sixteen  when that
happened
its been three years.   We have a sort of, I  guess, semi psychic sense of
each other. Even when he beams himself to other  places, even other ships I can
still hear him, feel him inside of  me.  I mean without his personality Max is
just a computer  stuck in my head. I think that Steve Gutenberg's character
from that  movie Short Circuit said it best. Without his personality the
computer is just  that. It doesn't get happy, it doesn't get sad, it just runs
programs. If I  had anything important to do after I lost Max I am not sure I
could have  done anything unless someone else could snap me out of the instant
depression I  fell into.  I think I kinda know what Voyager's Seven of Nine
went
through  when she was disconnected from the Borg Collective. All the voices
she had been  hearing all her life were suddenly gone. She was alone in her own
thoughts. And  I guess that's how I felt. Alone... completely and utterly
alone. I realize I  don't belong here and if I had a way to get back home I
would
but one thing  has always brought me a little comfort being a stranger in a
strange land has  been Max. He's always been there when I have felt homesick,
comforted me  when I felt like doing nothing but crying my eyes out in my room.
Taken  away pain, repaired me when I got hurt. If Max was a real man I would
have married him two years ago. I mean Max is more then just a  computer
program to me. He's made me laugh, instilled courage in me when I was  feeling
helpless, kept me company in my darkest times. Even given me the  will to
continue
in what seemed like impossible odds. Losing him would be  like when an
expecting mother loses her child, or when Trill dies within its  host. Until
that
moment I hadn't realized how much I depended on Max, how much I  need him...how
much I love him...

Lt JG Josephine Tracy
Chief Science Officer
USS Eagle