<USS Eagle> Starfleet Sentimentality

  • From: GwenivereMarqusa@xxxxxxx
  • To: usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:47:03 EDT

:ON:

 Things had been pretty quiet for the last couple of hours.  After being
replaced at the Tactical station, Gwen decided to go and check out the Brig and

see how things were going.
      After exiting the bridge, it didn't take her long to get to the brig.
She  chuckled softly as one of the security officers tried to hide a PADD
under the  desk when he realized that she was there.
      Inside the only cell occupied in the Eagle's brig, the Klingon
commander sat on  the bunk provided for him.  He appeared to be sleeping. On
the floor
at his  feet were scattered plates and small scraps of food that had spilled
out while  the hungry Klingon had gorged himself.
      Gwen motioned for the officer to stay where he was as she walked over
to the  cell.  She tried to imagine what life must be like in his universe.
But a life without Starfleet just wasn't that comprehensible to  her.
     A  second security officer came out of the break area in the brig.  He
saw  Gwen approaching the cell, and joined her.  In a quiet voice he said.
"You wouldn't believe how he devoured that food.  It looked like he hadn't
eaten in years."
      Without turning to look at the officer Gwen replied, "My guess is that
he  hasn't.  At least, he hasn't eaten decently in years.  From the looks  of
things, my guess is that he, and the rest of the Klingons, have just been
scavenging for food and supplies.  Their Universe must really be  bad."
      "Your guess would be right on," came a gruff, tried voice from, inside
the  cell.  The Klingon commander suddenly raised his head and looked at the
two  security officers.  "The universe is currently in a horrible state.   One
must do what one must do to survive."
      Gwen wasn't sure exactly how to respond to that.  "Looks like you've
barely  been surviving though.  We are trying to figure out how you got here.
You have any ideas?"
      "The same way you did, girl," the Klingon responded.  He glanced around
the  cell, and then to the two officers.  "Only this ship seems in
surprisingly  good condition. There were rumors of some Starfleet vessels
surviving the
final  battles.  I guess they were true."
      Looking at the Klingon Commander, Gwen realized that the officer didn't
know he  was in a different reality.  "Not here.  We won the war with the
Dominion in this reality.  Starfleet still exists here.  Not just some  vessels
surviving."
      The Klingon narrowed his eyes and rose off his bunk.  "What is this
talk of  realities?  The universe is the universe.  Starfleet as a major power
is as dead as the Empire."
      "Maybe where you come from.  But both the Klingon Empire and Starfleet
are  Major Powers in this area.
      "As for different realties, well that is a complicated topic.  The
theory  goes that there is an almost infinite number of realities, so as all
possible  outcomes occur.  I'm not a scientist and I don't really know the
theory
that well to explain it."
      "What [Klingon expletive] are you spouting, girl?" the Klingon
commander spat  out.  He crossed the cell angrily.  "Infinite universes!
Klingon
Empires where none exist.  Have I been brought aboard s ship of  madness?"
      "No.  You have not.  And by the way.  I'm the Chief of Security  on
this ship, and I would appreciate it if you didn't refer to me as  'girl.'"
Gwen
had let the first one go by, but she didn't want a pattern  to form.
      "This is not your Universe.  Starfleet does exist, as does the Klingon
Empire and the Romulan Empire.  The Dominion does not control the alpha
quadrant."
      The Klingon glared at Gwen a moment.  He was not used to anyone
questioning  his way of speaking.  He looked in Gwen's eyes and saw no fear of
him.
Then he started to laugh.
      Gwen looked at him curiously, then just shook her head.  "If you need
anything, like more food or water, just let one of the officers know.  I  have
other places that I need to be right now."
     "I  will give you this g....Lieutenant," the Klingon said after his
laughter  subsided.  "You have as much gumption as your commanding officer  I
would assume the Vulcan who shot me before IS your commanding  officer?"
      "Vulcan?" Gwen asked curiously.  Then she realized he was probably
referring to Lukas and chuckled.  "The Commanding officer is not Vulcan, He  is
half Romulan."
      The Klingon nodded as if that explained everything.  "An officer of his
 word," he said to Gwen.  "Tell me, what is the status of my ship and  crew?"
      "Repairs are being made to your ship.  We have also replicated food and
had  that sent over.  There were minor injuries, which are being looked
after."
      "You sent food over to my ship?"
      "Yes.  We figured your crew would be in similar condition as you  were."
      "Same old Starfleet," the Klingon grunted.  "Always soft on the  enemy.
 You would think you would have learned from the  Dominion."
      "You are not exactly our enemy.  Besides, it would be a sad day if
Starfleet ever changed it's policy of helping those in need."
      "Same old Starfleet mentality," he grunted.  "Could you inform your
captain  that I wish t speak with him?"
      "Of course."  With that Gwen headed out of the Brig.

:OFF:

Lt. Gwen  Marqusa
CSec/Tac
USS Eagle