<USS Eagle> Fwd: Patriot/Atlantis: Captain Archer and Captain Kaha

  • From: CaptJPArcher@xxxxxxx
  • To: usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 02:49:52 EST

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: CaptJPArcher@xxxxxxx
  • To: CaptJPArcher@xxxxxxx, JudyKaha@xxxxxxx, AnniClan@xxxxxxx, JDAster@xxxxxxx, TrevCloud@xxxxxxx, DrDominie@xxxxxxx, DianeDax@xxxxxxx, JamesDHntr@xxxxxxx, Gettinhappy@xxxxxxx, VAdmLanders@xxxxxxx, AlishaConnors@xxxxxxx, drdorafane@xxxxxxxxx, PhantomSojourn@xxxxxxx, liz_fleshman@xxxxxxxxxxx, Phantom_Sojourn@xxxxxxxxx, SmileOfTheShadow@xxxxxxx, CmdrTomCulkin@xxxxxxx, PS85ENIGMA@xxxxxxx, robert__mcqueen@xxxxxxxxxxx, admjamesruss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Nardini@xxxxxxx, KaemonWashi@xxxxxxx, MuvPhuzVren@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:14:43 EST
 -STAR TREK-
PATRIOT

-STAR TREK-
Atlantis

      Jack stopped outside Judy's office.  Knowing her from the past, Jack
knew she tended to be an early riser.  When he boarded the station, he'd
inquired on her whereabouts with the computer.  It had informed him she was
already
in her office.  He made his way through the station.  It was still kind of
quiet at this time of the morning.  Archer made it to the station commander's
office, and stopped outside the door, ringing the chime.

    Judy, in her dress uniform for the funeral this morning, was checking
herself over for any traces of command red. Thankfully the white dress uniforms
came with gray fronts as red was disrespectful at a Chinese funeral. As it was
so very early, she started at the ringing of her chime. Turning to the door,
she said, "Come."

      Jack stepped inside as the door slid open.  He was surprised to see
Judy there, all dressed up formally, which was in sharp contrast to his own
tired
appearance......having been up all night.  Then he recalled that today was
the day for the funeral services for her former X.O., Commander Po.  Oh
cripes!!!!  There's no way I can wait.  The window for the Warp Highway means
we have
to go now.  Well......too late to change things.  Besides, I'm under orders
from Commodore Zen to head back to Earth.

    Seeing Jack at this hour, at this time, somehow lifted Judy's spirits a
little. Until he spoke.

      "Morning Captain.  I'm very sorry to interrupt you at this early hour,
considering what today is.  But I wanted to check in with you as at 0500
hours, my ship will be departing for Earth.  I've been given new orders for the
time being by Commodore Kaylan Zen, who arrived recently."

    "Oh," Judy said. What could she say?

      Jack felt like a heel, having to leave as he did.  He knew from his own
past experiences just how hard it was to lose someone under your command, and
he'd wanted to be here for Judy.

      "The Commodore wishes to return to Earth for the funeral services for
those who died aboard the USS Challenger.  In addition, I'm being given a
briefing on the actual parameters of the mission I'm about to be sent on
regarding
the ship disappearances that have been occurring lately."

      He stepped closer to her.  "I'm sorry Judy.  I really did want to be
here for you, please believe that."

    When he stepped closer, years slipped away. Or it was all the high
emotion of the day. Whatever it was, without thinking and just like old times,
Judy
stepped closer as well and laid her head on his broad chest. Her eyes closed
as she inhaled his familiar scent. Apparently they have both suffered loss, she
hugged him, giving and receiving comfort. "The Challenger? Did you lose
anyone close to you?" she asked quietly.

      Jack was silent for a moment as he held her, trying to keep from
thinking about all they'd been through over the years......and all the fond
memories
that returned in that simple act of providing comfort.  "I knew Jim Hunter.
I taught him at the Academy.  I wouldn't say we were ever friends.  More like
rivals if you have to call our interaction anything.  But......in the years
since he graduated, I found myself growing to respect him and the way he
conducted himself."

      He stopped for a moment, just thinking, and holding her.  He was
surprised at how comfortable it felt to just be there with her after all this
time.
"He and I both were part of a number of campaigns during the Dominion War,
including the Chin'Toka invasion where I lost the Valley Forge.  It was
Hunter's
ship, the USS Challenger, that picked up our survivors."

      Jack took a deep breath as he remembered that day......a day where so
many had died......even thought the battle was considered a success.  "Even if
I hadn't been ordered home by Commodore Zen......I would've needed to go.  I
owe it to Hunter for that rescue."

    Talk of the Dominion war conjured up unpleasant memories; Judy lost her
sister in that war. She tightened her arms around him when he spoke of losing
his ship. "You have to go," she said matter-of-factly. Part of Starfleet life
was honoring those who gave their life in service. As if just realizing this
long hug was probably improper, yet still reluctantly, she slowly stepped back
and straightened her dress uniform. "You have your dead to honor, and I have
mine," she said softly, then she looked up to his eyes, "You will be back?" She
hoped. She dreaded. Though not with as much dread as when he'd first arrived.
Which was an odd thing she would contemplate at another time.

      Jack let her go......and found himself regretting the
separation......and the passing of the moment..  He nodded.  "Yeah......I'll be
coming back.
There's still the problem of something out there causing ships to disappear."
He took a long breath.  "Whatever it is......it's coming this way.  I have to
intercept it before it can get here......and threaten the station......and
you."

    The tenderness of the moment started to dissipate as the weight of the
situation started to sink in. The thought of disappearing ships concerned Judy.
He'd said something earlier about being briefed by a Commodore about his
mission. She frowned, if she was, supposedly, his boss in this sector then
shouldn't she hear that briefing too? "I need to know what's going on, too,
Jack. I'd
like very much to be in on the briefing the Commodore is going to give you.."
That wasn't going to work though, not with two funerals in opposite sides of
the Federation. "You can't stay and I can't go. You will brief me when you
return?" That should have been a statement, but it sounded more like a
question.
This new relationship between them would take some working out.

      Jack nodded.  "Everything I find out, you'll find out.  This entire
situation is somewhat......unusual.  I'm not even sure if they really want me
know everything.  Mind you, I've been making a a big pain of myself trying to
discover what's going on, so I don't think they had much of a choice.  Believe
me......in future, I'll make sure if anything's going to be said, it follows
proper protocols."

    Unusual was a good word for the situation. She nodded once, accepting
what he said at face value. Not long ago she would have questioned if he would
do
what he said, but now.. Now she knew that if it depended on him, he would
follow protocol. Starfleet Command however..

    Jack rubbed his eyes and glanced at his chrono.  He had just enough time
to get back aboard Patriot, get her sent on her way, and then hopefully time
to sack out for some much needed sleep.  "Like I said, this entire scenario is
not following standard procedures.  So please, don't feel bad.  It isn't
anything you or I have done."  He moved toward her again, giving her a small
smile.
 "I have to go.  I'll be thinking of you with what you have to do today.  Be
strong......for all of them."

    It would have been easy to hug him again, she even drifted closer as he
moved toward her. But the unusualness, the uncertainty and strangeness of the
entire situation held her back. She shouldn't be hugging him anyway, grieving
or not. She settled for taking his hand, not to shake it, but with both of
hers, she gave his a warm squeeze, "Safe journey, Jack. I'll be thinking of
you,
too." She didn't have to remind him to be strong, he was the epitome of
strength in command.

      Jack returned the squeeze with one of his own......and they held hands
for a few moments.  Then......not really wanting to......Jack turned and left.

    As she watched him leave, she wondered if she'd see him again despite his
words and Starfleet's current orders. Things happen, orders change and
rearrange, messages get lost in transit. Anything could happen to anyone at any
moment. Which brought her back to today. Be strong, he'd said. And she would
be,
for her crew, for Po's family, and for herself.

Archer, Captain Jackson Phineas
Commanding Officer,
NCC-84777, USS Patriot

Captain Judy Kaha