<USS Eagle> Even More Difficult: DL Dr. Compton

  • From: JM <alleymarziacat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: USS Eagle <usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 10:45:29 -0700 (PDT)

Even More Difficult
Duty Log by Dr. M. Compton, CMO USS Eagle

A friend had once told Daisy one of the most difficult things she would ever do
as the CMO of the USS Eagle was to find herself treating its' critically
injured Commanding Officer. Commodore Fyrstk had not been hurt but leave it to
Daisy to find something even more difficult.

She, Dr. Terra Ane, and the medical team from Starbase 292 had worked
frantically to save the life of April Styles-Fyrstk, Commodore Fyrstk's wife,
who had been injured gravely in an explosion. Ultimately the doctors had to
confront the reality of the situation – no matter how hard or valiantly they
tried, April was dying. Amazingly, the woman summoned what surely were her last
dregs of strength to say a heartfelt and touching goodbye to her husband and
children. Then, with a heavy heart, Daisy watched the monitors on April's
bio-bed steadily regress and go flat.

The Eagle's CMO pronounced April Styles-Fyrstk dead at 2132 hours and 30
seconds. Her passing was the second most difficult and heart-wrenching incident
Daisy faced in all her 40 years, eclipsed only by the moment she was informed
that her husband's ship was missing and presumed lost with all aboard.

She had quietly excused herself as April's children filed back into the room
joining their father and Dr. Terra Ane. The group clung together and tearfully
comforted each other as they absorbed the reality that their beloved mother,
wife and friend was truly gone.

Daisy leaned against the wall in the small waiting area and let her tears fall.

~You did all you could do Doctor.~ Came a reassuring voice in her head.

The doctor looked up at the source of the telepathic communication. Elys was
sitting in the Lotus position with her eyes closed on a nearby sofa.

“Thank you hun.” Daisy replied softly. “That's a lot easier said than done when
facing Commodore Fyrstk and his children.”

Without opening her eyes Elys continued. ~You know inside that April was beyond
helping...it was a miracle that she lived as long as she did. Don't blame your
skill or your judgment, you are too good at your job to doubt yourself.~

Daisy nodded but realizing Elys couldn't see her she said. “I know, you are
right” She frowned. “I can't help feeling like I let them down.”

~I think that's normal for a doctor...Daisy heard a bit of softening in Elys'
“voice”....death under any circumstance is a loss and can feel like a failure
if it's your patient. But you can't let it eat you up.~

Again, Daisy nodded in agreement. “True, if I did that, I'd start to lose my
touch....and there are lots of people depending on me, including the Commodore.”

~They're taking it really hard....she was apparently telepathically connected
to all her children and her husband.....just the absence of her reassuring
“presence” in their minds is causing them anguish. I think it will get harder
for them before it gets better. I may need to stay here a couple of days to
help them through the worst of it.~

“As long as you are needed and welcome you can stay. I'll manage just fine with
my three for a while....” Daisy paused, the look on her face said that she'd
suddenly had an “ah-ha moment”. “Elys, if the Commodore brings his children
aboard the Eagle, would you consider caring for them in addition to mine?”

Elys' eyes popped open. “You bet I would.” She said enthusiastically “ I can
help them I'm sure. I do know what it feels like to lose a mother....and my
father too for that matter. And I think it might be very good for them to be
with Thomas, Charlene and Bella. Do you think he will want them with him on the
ship?

“I really don't know what he plans but it will be nice to offer him the option.
Thank you.”

“I need to concentrate...Jessica's quite distressed and Luna....I feel her
pain....” She closed her eyes again and went silent.

Daisy realized that she felt much better and was glad she' spoken with Elys. If
she decides against becoming a teacher, I'm sure Elys would make a fine
Counselor.

END