<USS Eagle> Dinner Party - JPL: Captain Rayne McCloud and the Compton Family

  • From: JM <alleymarziacat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: USS Eagle <usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 16:13:51 -0700 (PDT)

Dinner Party
Joint Personal Log: Captain Rayne McCloud and the Compton Family

ON

The scent of something rich and fragrant made its way down the Pathfinder's
corridor and wafted into the turbolift as the doors opened.

Captain Rayne McCloud made his way down the corridor to the chief medical
officer's quarters He stopped in front of the door and motioned his hand over
the sensor to sound the chime.

The door was actually answered -- by a gangly preteen with black hair and
bright green eyes. "Welcome Captain McCloud." He said very formally. "I'm
Thomas Compton, please come in." The boy smiled and moved slightly to the side
allowing space for the the Captain to enter.

"Well, thank you, Thomas," Rayne replied easily moving into the room. "It is a
pleasure to meet you, and it certainly smells good in here."

The Compton quarters, though only recently moved into, looked as if they had
been lived in for quite some time. A pile of PADDs was piled precariously on a
low table in front of a couch upholstered in a dark plaid. A number of
children's toys were scattered about, though the only visible child was Thomas.

Thomas rolled his eyes. "My sisters are COOKING."  He said the word as if it
were somehow dirty. "Anyone can get perfectly good lasagna from the replicator,
but do they take the time to program it and request it? No, they have to MAKE
it themselves from scratch!" He plopped onto the sofa and then popped right
back up. "Please have a seat, can I get you a beverage sir?"

Rayne chuckled at the boy. He sat down on the sofa. "Yes. A glass of iced
tourine would be nice, thank you."

Thomas gave McCloud a quizzical look and inquired. "Can I have one of those
too? Or is it for adults only?"

"Yes, you can have one as well," Rayne answered. "Though you might want to
request it sweetened. Straight tourine takes a little getting used to."

The boy addressed the replicator. "Two Iced tourine, plain." The hum and whirr
produced two tall glasses of a clear orange liquid. He picked up the two
glasses and brought one to McCloud and sat on the edge of the couch with his
drink. He took a tiny sip and Rayne could see his effort not to wince at the
strong flavor. "I can take it straight. I'm twelve now, next year I 'll be
beginning my pre-academy classes. My dad was a Starfleet Captain and someday I
want to be one too." He took another small sip of the drink. "Not bad."

McCloud did his best not to laugh outright at the boy. "I have heard of your
father," He told Thomas. "An excellent captain, indeed."

A door swooshed open and Rayne looked up to see a young woman enter. Obviously
Betazoid, she was dressed in a flowing red dress and her hair was piled in an
intricate style on her head. "Hello Captain McCloud. I'm Elys." She extended
her hand. He stood up to greet her.

"Hello, Elys," Rayne responded. "Captain Rayne McCloud. Pas.... Well, sort of
in between commands at the moment."

She smiled graciously. "It's a pleasure sir. I'm the children's nanny, Dr.
Compton says to tell you dinner will be ready shortly...she's...uh
supervising....its creation. I just wanted to be sure our Thomas was taking his
host duties seriously.” She looked at Thomas questioningly.

Rayne glanced to Thomas and winked at him, then back to Elys. "He is doing a
first-rate job of being host. With his sense of responsibility, he'll do real
well in Starfleet."

Thomas beamed at the praise from the CO. "I'm drinking tourine, straight." He
boasted. "Do you want to try some?" He offered Elys his glass and winked
conspiratorially back at McCloud.

"Thomas Compton, you should know by now that you can't pull that kind of trick
on me." She said sternly shaking her head at the offered beverage. "And I
thought you were going to behave while Captain McCloud is here?"

The boy frowned and pouted slightly. 'Having a Betazoid nanny is no fun. I can
never get away with anything!"  His pity party was interrupted by another door
swish and a burst of noise.

McCloud chuckled again at the boy. Thomas reminded him of the things he did as
a kid, especially the drinking of the tourine. He glanced to the opening door.

"Dinner's ready!" A tiny girl with cascading ringlets of jet black hair bounced
into their midst and announced in a loud voice....she noticed McCloud and ran
over to Elys. "I'm sorry, I forgetted we have company.” She gave McCloud a wary
look. “Mamma says y'all can come in now. Dinner's all ready." Without waiting
for an acknowledgment she scampered back into the other room.

The captain could do nothing but smile at the retreating form of the little
girl. He looked over to Thomas. "Well what do you say, Mr. Compton? Shall we go
eat?"

"Yes, sir!" Thomas stood and straightened his shirt in a motion that emulated
one that many Captains did when rising from the command chair. He gestured
toward the kitchen. "Right this way." Elys got up and followed the duo.

"That rude little girl was my sister Isabella."  Thomas explained to McCloud as
they entered the kitchen. "We call her Bella. She's just a baby and forgets her
manners sometimes."

"I heard that Tom-Tom." The same small voice insisted indignantly. "I am NOT a
baby." She stuck her tongue out at him and made a rude sound.

'CHILDREN!" Daisy interjected with a horrified look. "Mind yourselves. This is
the Pathfinder's Commanding Officer, show some respect!" she turned and nodded
at McCloud. Another young girl was standing at her side wearing an apron that
was still mostly white.

"They are usually MUCH better behaved sir.” She offered in apology. “I see
you've met everyone else...." She put her hand on the other child's shoulder.
"This is my oldest daughter, Charlene. She's cooked you a homemade lasagna for
dinner tonight."

"I helped!" A small voice piped up. “I chopped onions!” Bella said proudly.

Daisy threw her hands up in exasperation and gave McCloud a broad smile.
"Welcome to our home."

OFF