[ussbansheec] The Welcoming Committee

  • From: Andy Maluhia <CaptainAndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 12:12:18 -0400

_ The Welcoming Committee_
by Senek Menkara, Alek Singh, Tawa Pax; Nan, Isobel, & Kai Ecitsuj, and Gabriel Wagner

Senek had been on so many space stations in his life that he was fairly sure he'd lost count. That didn't mean there wasn't protocol to be followed. He left word at the commander's office that he was on station then proceeded to where he really wanted to head. The tall figure in a Vulcan cloak made no notice of the fact that most of the people he passed in one particular corridor were eyeing him warily, watching him closely. He honestly didn't care. Perhaps now I will get a bit of respite from insanity, he thought as he turned the last corner.

Alek had been chatting easily with Tawa, the two catching up on the comings and goings of their bosses and friends. As the tall man came round the corner, though, Alek came to attention and stood directly in his path. "I'm sorry sir, you can't go in there."

Senek dropped the hood on his cloak and stared down at the two men. It seemed for all the galaxy that the two, a sergeant major of the Marines and a special detail captain, were standing guard. "Why not?" he asked neutrally, his gaze not wavering in the slightest.

"Only those cleared by either the Station Commander or the Field Marshal can go in, sir," Alek said simply. "Sorry."

"Sergeant Major, I have no sense of humor but do humor me and tell me why," Senek said.

"Because they said so generally is enough," Tawa told him, blue eyes glaring up at the man.

"Works for me," Alek said genially. "The Captain and Field Marshal are really rather picky about who they'll let in, given the circumstances."

Senek pointedly turned his shoulder to the younger man, preferring to address Alek, even if he was lower ranked. Damned if he cared that it ticked off the Orion hybrid. "Circumstances? What circumstances are there that do not allow me to greet long time family friends?"

"Circumstances that mean that even someone that close would clearly forget to tell you when someone close to them has been assaulted and almost killed," Alek told the man. "Is it Captain Wagner or Chief Ecitsuj to whom you refer, sir?"

"What?" Senek snapped sharply. "What has happened? Nevermind, I'll ask Nan myself and that would be Nan Ecitsuj, Sergeant Major."

"Stay here, sir," Alek warned before disappearing inside the cabin but making sure the door closed firmly behind him. "Chief Ecitsuj?" he called out softly, knowing he left the Major in her alcove and Captain Wagner keeping an eye on her and hopefully a little sleep. "There's a large Vulcan gentleman outside asking for admittance and my orders are only you, the Captain or the Field Marshal can admit someone."

Nan had been reclined on the sofa, reading, in the main room while Kai sat at the comm planning lessons. Nan looked up, though, a bit of confusion on his face. "Large Vulcan?"

"T'kai?" Kai asked.

"Oh yeah," Nan said with a grin. "Sergeant Major, would he be a good taller than me and seem like he has no sense of humor whatsoever along with captain's pips?"

"That would be an apt description," Alek agreed easily. "Would you like me to let him in?"

"By all means. Captain Menkara and I have known each other longer than I've known my wife," Nan said easily. "I have no idea what he's doing here but I suppose he can do what he wants. I wonder if he--"

"Amaguq," Kai warned gently.

"Sorry, Kai," Nan said sheepishly at his son's gentle reminder to quit talking. "Let him in, sir."

Without another word, Alek opened the door and nodded to Tawa. "Let the man in, he's an old friend of the family. Sorry about the inconvenience, sir."

Senek slowly lowered his hand, which had been curled into a fist poised to strike Tawa. "You need your attitude corrected, Captain. Quickly," Senek growled. He lowered the hand and offered Alek a slight bow. "Thank you, Sergeant Major. Asalaam aleikum."

Alek inclined his head to the Captain. "Salaam, sir," he said softly before flowing out to stand guard beside his companion. "I would suggest, my friend, that you tone it down just a little. But that's just my opinion, you understand. From one old timer to another."

"Arrogant bastard. Damned Vulcans are always so uppity," Tawa muttered even as he nodded at Alek's wisdom.

Senek took one step inside and, as soon as the door closed, he pinned Nan with a stare. "Nice welcoming committee, Nan."

Stretching as quietly as she could, Izzy padded over to where Gabriel had nodded off and brushed his hair out of his face. "I hear voices, Baby Blue. Sounds like Uncle Senek. He sounds grumpy too. Want me to leave you to sleep?"

"Hmm?  Who?" Gabriel asked tiredly, not opening his eyes.

"Big tall Vulcan, kinda scary if you don't know him, made me cry once when I was little because him and Daddy were arguing," she laughed, easing down next to Gabriel. She still ached like nothing on Earth but at least she wasn't quite so bruised any more.

Nan looked at Kai, who offered him a mute shrug, then back at Senek. "It's been a long few weeks. Ah, don't you watch the news?"

"No," Senek replied.  "As you said, it's been a long few weeks."

"Kai, you tell him," Nan said simply.

Gabriel let out a groan and wrapped his arm around her. "Do you suppose I should, liebling?"

"I think you should sleep, Baby Blue," she murmured, kissing his cheek lightly. "You don't sleep so well since you fell for me. Time for some better rest. I'll go talk to Uncle Senek."

"Ja, sure, Izzy," he murmured.  "I'll be right here."

Senek knew the tome of Kai's voice as he spoke, that cold emotionless machine voice as the younger man told him just what had gone on. Senek could feel his own face flushing with the rage he was sure Nan must have felt. "Son of a..." he hissed. He cut himself off as he caught sight of the small shrine in the corner. Interesting. "Is she alright?"

After kissing Gabriel's forehead gently, she slipped out of the bed and pulled on a robe. "I'm fine, Uncle Senek," Izzy said from the doorway as she tugged the dressing gown around her more tightly. "All fixed, just stiff and a little sore. Don't I get a hug from the scary Vulcan Uncle?"

"Of course you do, Isobel-kam," Senek said as he held his hands out to her. Encasing her in a gentle hug he asked, "Do you really believe that I'm so scary, still?"

"Not for a long time," she whispered just for him. "Now you're scary in a good way. Like another line of defence. They told you everything?"

"Yes and I am very sorry it happened to you, Izzy." Because it was Nan's daughter, because he missed his own daughter, he kissed her forehead before he let her go. "Do you feel alright, though?"

"You mean other than sore, stiff and scared out of my mind? Sure," she laughed weakly, plopping down on the nearest chair and pulling her knees up under her. "How was the trip? We weren't expecting you."

"The trip was uneventful," he said mildly. "The visit was rather unplanned but I took the suggestion given to me so here I am."

"We're waiting on Mum, Mother, Slaine et al," Izzy told him. "Daddy's going to go and get them later today when their shuttle gets in."

"You, ah, here by yourself?" Nan asked carefully. He knew T'Aaya didn't like traveling off planet but if Senek had come because of his daughter...

"Rather alone--yes," Senek said coldly. He instantly regretted his tone, though. "My apologies, Ecitsujs. It's been a long trip."

Izzy didn't pry but even she could see the hurt in her Uncle's dark eyes. "Sounds final, Uncle," she said softly. "It's not, though, right?"

Senek let out a soft sigh. He should have known he couldn't hide anything from his family. "No, Izzy-kam, it most likely is. I was asked to leave."

"But..." Izzy shook her head, she wasn't going to push the man. He'd tell her father when he needed to, maybe her mother as well. "It's okay, Uncle. It'll be okay."

"Of course it will, Izzy," Senek said as he dropped into a chair near Kai. "Kaiidth--what is, is. But, come, I came to see you people, not to dwell on what will soon pass. I bring special greetings for you from London. For you especially, Kai." The smile might have looked out of place on the Borg face but not to anyone who knew the younger man. "Sarah misses you but there is no way I am going to kiss you, Kai. And you, Izzy-kam, she says she loves you and to make Kai take care of you."

Izzy rolled her eyes but smiled over at Kai. "With the amount of people here, I doubt he's going to have much chance. You haven't even met my Baby Blue yet."

Senek mouthed the words 'Baby Blue' silently then asked the question in the same tone he'd thought the words. "'Baby Blue'?"

Wiggling her finger at him, Izzy beamed. "My fiancee. He's sleeping in the other room."

He almost smiled. Almost, but not quite, though the smile did reach his eyes. "Then he is a fortunate man," Senek said warmly, taking her hand to inspect the ring. "That's a lovely ring, Isobel, you deserve it. I take it then that this would be the Captain Wagner that the gentlemen outside were referring to?"

"That's him, he's gorgeous," she grinned, still holding a slight tightness to her eyes. "There's more... You fancy being another Great Uncle?"

At that, Senek really did smile . It wasn't for very long, as usual, but it was for Izzy. He got up to kiss her cheek. "Congratulations, Izzy. You'll be a wonderful mother. Of that I have no doubt," he said warmly as he sat on her other side. "Now I'll have another composition to write."

"You write music like I tell Stories," Nan observed. "They always fit so well."

"Michael," she said softly, leaning against her uncle and relaxing her shoulders. "Named for the angel. He's going to have Gabriel's colouring and Daddy's charm."

"Then I take it that the Lady in the corner there is his," Senek stated. "It's a wonderful name, Izzy, very strong."

"But you forgot to say that he will have his mother's sense of humor and her bravery and sweetness," Gabriel said from the door way of the bed room.

"Hey Baby Blue, come meet my uncle," she said softly as she opened her arms up to him. "Uncle Senek, this is Gabriel Wagner, my soon-to-be husband."

Senek barely batted a lash, recognizing the young man as a mutant then filing that as merely background information. Nevertheless, he stood slowly and raised one brow. "I'm pleased to meet you, Gabriel. I would threaten you with bodily harm if you weren't good to Isobel but I trust her judgement. Besides, the Lady in the corner is too well tended to belong to a careless man."

Gabriel didn't bother reigning in the smile and he also didn't bother with offering his hand since Senek didn't. He joined Izzy on the sofa and said, "The pleasure is mine, sir. They've told me much about you, even if we did meet once at Kai's wedding."

"He'll remember you, blueness," Izzy said with total certainty, smiling at her Uncle. "Man never forgets anyone. You're going to have to show him around, you know. Take him on a tour or something. Uncle Senek would like that," she nodded vigorously at Senek. "Wouldn't you?"

"I can walk myself, Isobel, I haven't gotten lost in years--not since my first trip to the neighborhoods in San Francisco," Senek said. "And almost when I took T'Cerys to Thebes."

"But it's better to see a place from the eyes of a man who knows, right?" Izzy insisted. "I'd go with but I'm not allowed out."

"As you wish, Izzy-kam," Senek said with a pat on her head. "Nan, she's still the same. It's wonderful."

Gabriel watched the big man carefully. He remembered him quite well from the wedding, recalling how odd it seemed that he and Izzy's father got along so well. It was going to be tricky figuring out his ever changing formality modes, though. Strange man. "DSVP is an interesting place, sir, and I know all the hiding spots."

"Uncle Senek doesn't need places to hide," Izzy huffed, rattling her head from side to side to shake off his pat - it had squashed her hair. "He wants to see interesting things, meet the more colourful people." Leaning close to Gabriel, she kissed his cheek and whispered, "He won't bite."

"Not afraid at all, Izzy," Gabriel murmured. "I just do not wish to offend."

"Isobel, is quite right, Gabriel. I've known very many strange people over the years. I seem to attract them," Senek said mildly.

"No stranger than the ones I let in my back door," Nan retorted.

By now, Kai understood the teasing that was going on but oh how it had bothered him as a child. It seemed too much like lying, which confused him and seemed hurtful. Now, he understood the long term affection underneath. "They're at it again, Izzy."

"Ever wonder how to make a Borg child cry?" Izzy laughed. "This is why I used to be scared of Uncle Senek."

"Now, my lovely Isobel, who do you think the man would want to see that's so colorful?" Gabriel asked, his smile mischievous. "Other than me?"

"Take him down to the civilian sector," she grinned, her arms wrapping around his neck and cuddling him. "I like wandering there. There's a little market with a booth for a palm reader and everything."

Gabriel rolled his eyes slightly. "I know the lady you mean," he said dryly. "Interesting one but that line of work gives me the creeps."

"Ever seen a Romulan with piercings and a tattoo across her stomach, Uncle? You can see it because she wears tops that barely cover her," Izzy laughed brightly. "She's like an old-fashioned gypsy."

"If that's the case, it is no small wonder that she's on a Federation station rather than on Romulus. IDIC took a wrong turn when it headed there and got lost," Senek said with a slight sniff. "One does not stand out there unless one wants to be noticed and that is not a desirable thing." He shrugged slightly, though as he pictured the description with the job. "It makes for good theatrics if one is familiar with such things."

"Had my palm read just for the fun of it, she said I'd be happy," Izzy chuckled. "Said I wouldn't come back and I haven't. What a skill, huh?" she grinned, rolling her eyes.

"That part of me which is Vulcan says it's all nonsense but the Human part is at least mildly interested and amused. The Egyptians were artists of fortune telling," Senek mused.

"Then I'll take you there especially.  First even," Gabriel said.

Izzy kissed the side of Gabriel's face, momentarily ignoring the presence of anyone else in the room. "Let me make you something before you go, Baby Blue."

"You shouldn't be walking around, Izzy," Gabriel said gently. "If you want to be rested for when your mother comes, you should lay back and relax."

"He'll bring you something back," Senek added, approving of the young man's kindness.

Izzy smiled first at Gabriel then at Senek. "Don't get too lost, okay? I want him back in one piece, Uncle."

"Twice in more than seventy years is a fairly good track record, Izzy," Senek said with a fond smirk as he stood up. "If T'Cerys and I came back from Thebes, then this should be rather easy."

"Enjoy yourself," she said to both of them then just to Gabriel, "Don't take too long. I want you back before you go on duty. Barely get to see you any more."

"Don't worry, liebling. I won't get lost," he said with a wink.