[ussbansheec] "Shall We Dance?"

  • From: "Moria McEntire" <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:11:03 -0400

"Shall We Dance"

Moria McEntire, Dane and Joseph McKenna

The fair grounds were full of people, livestock, and vendors. It was a
thrilling and happy place, and Dane was glad he'd gotten to come before
shipping out again. He missed this when he was away. As he walked out of the
ale tent with two full pints, he glanced around at all the people walking
around. He smiled at the pretty ladies and nodded respectfully to older
gentlemen and their wives. His Da might still have had a problem with him
being a Marine, but the rest of the county seemed proud of the youngest
McKenna.

"Took you long enough." Joe complained as he watched over the 150 head of
sheep he still had to sell. It was a slow year, but he was hoping things
would pick up when the off-worlders finally showed up. It bothered him a
little to think of his sheep going off to some colony on some other planet,
but he couldn't begrudge humans who choice to live off world the right to
survival.

"There was a line." Dane replied to his older brother as he handed him one
of the pints. "There's a dance later."

Joe looked at the younger man before downing half his ale. "You gonna go?"

"Yeap," Dane replied brightly. "and so are you."

Joe snorted. "Doubtful little brother. I got to much to do."

"All you do is work, Joe. You need to have some fun." Dane replied. "You
haven't been to anything like this since Ma died. She'd be worried sick you
were going to end up married to a sheep."

Someone had to take care of everything, but at the hopeful look on his
brother's face, Joe really couldn't say no. "Alright we'll go."

The dance was held in one of the larger tents where flooring had been placed
over the grass. There were tables set up around the perimeter of the
flooring, and a place for the band to play. By the time Joe and Dane showed
up there were already people there staking claim to the best tables.

"We won't need a table."  Joe said as he caught Dane looking around.

Dane nodded. "We'll sit with the ladies."

Joe rolled his eyes but smiled as he and his brother walked to here a bar
had been set up. The heat of the day was letting up but people still dressed
to be cool. Light trousers and shirts for the guys, and light cotton sun
dressed for the women. Joe himself had actually changed into a clean pair of
tan trousers and a white cotton shirt that made his hair seen darker and his
eyes a darker blue.

As the band began to set up, Dane watched with delight as he noted that band
would be a transactional one. There was a drummer, a tin whistler, a piper,
a fiddler. Oh yes this was going to be fun. As the group of musicians
started to warm up he started to scan the area for ladies to add to his
dance card. He'd been checking out a tall blonde when a head of short red
hair caught his eye.  He followed her through the crowd and when he was
finally able to see her face, his face brightened. "Hot damn it's the Doc!"

"What?" Joe asked, but Dane was already heading off into the crowd.

"Doc McEntire!" Dane called out as he headed for the redhead. "Doc
McEntire!"

It was a habit she found hard to break. Whenever Moria heard someone calling
for a Doctor or Doc McEntire she looked around for her mother or sister.
When she realized she was the one being called to she turned to see who it
was. A bright smile lit up Moria's face when she saw who was coming towards.
"Well, hello Dane. You're looking well."

Without hesitation Dane wrapped the woman in a hug. "You look pretty good
yourself, Doc."

Moria laughed as she hugged the young man back. "I'm off the clock, Dane,
please call me Moria."

Dane beamed at her. "Ok Moria, it's really good to see you."

Joe watched from the bar while Dane chatted up the pretty redhead until he
noticed who it was. He smirked as he walked over to them. "Well if it isn't
the hot headed Fleet shrink."

Looking up, Moria caught sight of Dane's older brother and nearly smiled. It
was good to see them together and she was hoping this meant they'd patched
their family back together. "Mr. McKenna."

Dane knew why there was tension between the two, and he knew it had more to
do with the attraction then the fight back at the homestead. "Oh come on you
two give over." He told them. "That was years ago and everything turned out
for the best." He turned to look at Moria. "Thanks for that by the way."

"Your more then welcome, Dane." Moria replied. "But all I did was push a
little. It's clear the real work was done after I'd left."

Dane nodded. "Where'd you go anyway?"

"Field service." Moria replied. "I needed to put in some space time."

"So you're here on vacation?" Joe asked as he looked her over. Life in space
hadn't made her unless beautiful, and from the flicker in her eyes any less
of a spitfire.

Moria nodded as her grey eyes lightened as she looked at  him. "Yes," She
replied, "I've been given sometime off before I start my new position. Space
travel and ship life is a wonderful experience, but I missed the ability to
be home with in an hour when I get homesick. I've taken a job in Melbourne
at the flight school."

The three of them talked for a little while longer before Moria went off
with the tall blonde, she'd introduced as her friend Emma. As the two women
wondered over to the other side of the tent, Dane slugged his brother in the
arm. "Why didn't you ask her to dance?"

"She'd have said no." Joe replied.

Dane just blinked. "What are you blind and stupid?"

Joe gave his brother a dangerous look.

"She likes you, you like her, go ask her to dace." Dane grunted.

"She doesn't like me." Joe replied.

Dane rolled his eyes and groaned. "She couldn't take her eyes off you."

Joe folded his arms. "She never took her eyes from mine."

"Exactly!" Dane sighed and then shook his head. "Your as clueless as a
newborn lamb. Take a chance man, go ask the woman to dance."

Joe held up his hands. "Fine, alright, but when she says no I'm coming back
and hitting you in your think head."

Moria stopped talking when she saw Joe coming towards her. She offered him a
warm smile. "Is there something I can do for you, Mr. McKenna?"

"Yeah, stop calling me Mr. McKenna." Joe replied as he stopped right in
front of her.

"Alright." Moria's smile turned into a bit of a smirl. "Is there something I
can do for you, Joseph?"

Joe rolled his eyes and then a stab in the dark. "Would you like to dance?"

Moria bit her lip a moment and then nodded. "I'd love too."

GIF image