[ussbansheec] Political Bullets

  • From: Andy Maluhia <CaptainAndy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 11:05:58 -0500

_Political Bullets
_by Adonis Kaartaren & Dr. Nath
/"In politics, merit is rewarded by the possessor being raised, like a target, to a position to be fired at."--Christian Nevell Bovee/

**follows after 'Teaching Fathers and Sons'

When he thought about it after the fact, Adonis supposed he should have expected something to happen but, as the old saying o Earth went, hindsight is always 20-20. As the Earth based counselor and senior counselor in charge for the Pathfinder2 project, he, like the other counselors involved, met with the Fleet's chief counselor every week to discuss progress and problems. What should have given him the hint that something was off was when Dr. Nath asked him to come in person to make his report, rather than the usual comm conference. At the time, Adonis chalked it up to the fact that he hadn't ever actually gone in person, ever. Despite the fact that he almost always went to visit Banshee families in civilian dress, that causing less anxiety than seeing a uniform approach, Adonis was in regular Fleet Medical attire suitable for a counselor, rank pips for a full commander properly placed and shining, when he arrived at Fleet Medical. He made sure, too, to school his face as well as his thoughts. Nath was Human, not at all psi talented, but he was the Fleet's head of psychiatry and a long time counselor. One didn't need to be psi to be a good counselor and Nath was good. As the yeoman ushered Adonis in, Nath stood to greet him. He was an ordinary looking Human; one who Adonis knew used that ordinariness to put people at ease. That in itself began to increase his suspicions. Nath offered him a handshake and what seemed to be a sympathetic smile.

"Good to see you, Adonis. I was sorry to hear about your mother," the man said casually enough.

"Thanks," he replied neutrally. "I didn't know the incident was common knowledge."

"It isn't but it is why I asked you to come here," Nath said as he waved at the guest chair and took his own seat behind the desk. "Have a seat. We need to talk."

Adonis did as he was asked but suspicion was skyrocketing then. He knew the face he presented was as bland as it was when he entered but, inside, he was waiting. The other shoe had to drop and soon. Only personal integrity kept him from using natural Betazoid abilities to pull the information from Nath's head. "Go on," he said carefully, large hands resting on his thighs, deceptively at ease.

"I've been asked to remove you from the Pathfinder2 project," came the blunt answer. Nath waited. The younger man showed no reaction other than to blink. Once. Damned Betazoids, he grumbled to himself, they can be cagier than Vulcans. "It's felt that your mother's actions make your association with the project in appropriate."

"And here I thought the saying of not visiting the sins of the parent onto the child originated on this planet," Adonis snorted, as he shook his head. "Let me now make an assumption: this 'feeling' of inappropriateness didn't come from any of the families I've visited." He saw Nath open his mouth to say something but he cut the man off with a dismissive wave of his hand. "Spare me the lies and attempts at lies, Nath. I'll know before you even open your mouth. I know it came from you people in the brass."

"It's nothing like that!" Nath sputtered.

Adonis hmmphed rudely then tapped his temple. "What did I say about lying? You're very bad at it and I can see it. " He pushed himself to his feet and shook his head in disgust. "Have a good time explaining this to those poor people who've come to count on my visits, Nath, because I'll certainly be sending every inquiry right toward you."

"Where are you going, Commander Kaartaren?" Nath demanded. "I don't recall giving you leave to go."

"You're right. You didn't but I'm still going. Your false indignation and the lies you're trying to feed me are giving me a headache," Adonis said as the door closed behind him.

--
for without hope I cannot live, remember the past but do not dwell there,
face the future where all our hopes stand."_- Israel Kamakawiwo'ole