[usjr_forensics] 3rd speaker speech

  • From: june margarette gipal <junemargarettegipal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usjr_forensics@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 07:28:17 -0800 (PST)

wala pa na nahuman hapit na...but it might take longer so i decided to send
part
of it...mga 5 sentences na lang siguro ang madugang ana guys...pacensya
na...pls. read through. ambot am i on the right tract, mura sya mahulog nga
necessity noh?

My country is a land that has perpetually fought for the freedom to be itself.
Our heroes offered their lives in the struggle against Spanish, the Japanese,
the Americans. To pack up and deny that identity is tantamount to spitting on
that sacrifice. This is the very word that Patricia Evangelista, a UP student
delivered before the International Public Speaking Competition that won her the
major prize with a unanimous decision.

She was talking about a border-less world, and yes, indeed we are born in a
generation free from war of imperialism. One doesn't have to die to be called a
HERO. While the “savage” war had long ended, The war to self Identity hasn't
ended for the Filipinos. For many years we were struggling to define who we
are?
“judging”  on the variety of colonial influence that has struck our country, we
don't know what truly is a genuine filipino. We were called by many names
tracing back history from 1542 – 1877 we were called  indios by the  Spaniards,
in 1998 a greek dictionary equated Filipinas to domestic helpers, what else
entertainers? Japayuki's? comfort women?  Is this the identify our heroes
fought
for? And is this the identity that we are suppose to live to? Some time in 1999
a filipino hate letter  entitled,  “FILIPINOS make me puke!” spread like a
virus
all over the internet, it was allegedly written by Art bell a well known  and
well loved radio personality in east coast, who by the way is married to a half
filipina. He strongly denied ever writing this offensive letter. In their
investigation it apparently came from a website that was created somewhere in
Northern Carolina in the US. Hoax or not? Written by him or not? The message is
clear. Someone out there is questioning our Identiy? Someone out there is not
comfortable of our constant association of ourselves to our asian neighbors? It
may have been worded in an impolite way, there were points that actually made
sense. Do we really have that Identity we can truly call our own? And the
Filipino Diaspora has even made it more difficult.

This ladies and gentlemen, Is the very reason why, in the affirmative, we
strongly believe that there is a need for a declaration of National hero that
will embody the true identity of the Filipinos. That will ultimately free us
from our struggle to self identity and self recognition. This hero will define
who a Filipino is wherever we are in this border-less world. And the search is
over, destiny already created one, only waiting to be officially acknowledge
and
fully recognized. No one person has impacted the Filipino nation the way Manny
did in his fights business, crime rates, and attention. For once Filipinos are
united. Every time he set on the corner of the boxing ring, and makes the sign
of the cross with his rosary on his gloves he display something truly Filipino,
being the only Christian nation in Asia. Even when Manny strives to answer
interviews in his not so polished and not so perfect English “YOU KNOW” is very
Filipino! We usually find it amusing, but mind you, we all can relate to that,
because every Filipino even the Balut vendors understand a little English and
speaks a little English if circumstances requires. The way he reveres his
mother. ….............(wala pa nahuman, this is the last paragraph..hopefully!)

INFO sources you might want to check (all online!)

www.thebrownraise.org

-in 1842 -1877 – the filipinos were referred to as indios
-1998 Greek dictionary defined filiipinas as domestic helpers
www.bargainprofessor.wordpress.com

-“Filipinos makes me PUKE!”
-Art bell retraction

www.manilamail.com/features/patricia.htm

Patricia Evangelista Speec – Blond and Blue  eyes

 June Margarette R. Gipal
Phone: (032) 2531060
Mobile: 09087574379/09177720379
E-mail: junemargarettegipal@xxxxxxxxx