[usf-devel] Re: subtitle elements

  • From: "Gabest" <gabest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <usf-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 07:56:32 +0200

> Currently with AVI, if the subs stream is muxed into the file ( bad bad
> bad :( ), it has to be done this way, so the parser has to detect what
> type of subtitle stream it is ( text, SSA, ASS, etc. ).

???

The avi parser in dshow knows nothing about the format of a subtitle file
muxed into, it just says it's text and dvobsub reads it in a format it can
figure out.

> For this very
> reason VobSub, the most used subtitles editor on Windows, will write a
> tag line into the subs stream on the very beginning as a kind of
identifier.

If you mean submux (and also avimux recently), it puts a predefined "GAB2"
zero terminated string at the beginning of the generic text sample and dumps
the real subtitle file after that.

> This is making us a lot of problems for our DirectShow parser filter, as
> stupid DShow only knows one type of subtitle streams also. We decided
> now to 'extend' Dshow a bit here ( ;) ) and agreed with Gabest, the
> author of VobSub who is also the developer of DVobSub, the most used
> DShow based subtitlte display filter, to add new 'media subtypes' to
> DirectShow to make a 'cleaner' solution here in future.

What are the new subtypes? I meant I'd be good to have 1 new subtype which
differs from MEDIASUBTYPE_Text and has some kind of format block to store
the needed global data like style declarations.

http://usf.corecodec.org