[usf-devel] Re: [Matroska-devel] Request for a hi-speed bitmapcompression format standard

  • From: Ronald Bultje <rbultje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:39:10 +0200

Hey Chris/all,

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 15:12, Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:
> Ronald Bultje wrote:
> >Subtitles are effectively just UTF8 strings.
> nope BBB, on DVDs, subs are special bitmap type pictures, with a special
> bitmap sheme, Gabest can explain it in more detail if you want, but
> basically what i understand from him you have

Well, that's DVDs. ;). I'm talking about it more generally, in broader
applications than just "display on TV". DVD subtitles are useless for
application in braille readers and so on. Think beyond TV. ;). Text is
the way to go! It's up to the viewer application (WMP and so on) to
render it nicely.

> >Use XML or xhtml for
> >mark-up if really you want to, and you're there.
> Yes, we are :) .... ever checked http://usf.corecodec.org :) ??

I'll look at that tonight. /me @ work. :).

Ronald

--