[usbproxy] Re: noob

  • From: Mike Mannion <mannion@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usbproxy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 22:50:39 -0400

Thanks for your responses,

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 12:23 PM, Dominic Spill <dominicgs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 24 July 2015 at 11:12, Kang, Myung <the.mkang@xxxxxx> wrote:
Good morning, all!

I agree. I had the most luck with the BBB OS image.
I received the message when I didn't have the connection between BBB and
host (miniUSB) correctly.

Yes, good point. Make sure both connections are connected correctly.

Both connections are connected correctly, I've tried other USB devices and
it seems like there is something about it which USBProxy doesn't like. It's
a vendor class device so I it's not surprising, it probably reacts
strangely to many things. I'll try to debug a bit more and ask again if I
have a more specific problem.

I am surprised that they're thinking of removing. Why?

I think I was wrong when I said they were removing it, but it was
recently broken and the maintainers of the linux gadgets seemed to
encourage moving to gadget functions and configfs. The problem is
that neither of these seem to allow completely arbitrary devices in
the way that gadgetfs does.

Personally I can see how configfs could be seen as more elegant of a
solution, but I think gadgetfs is needed to maintain lower level
functionality (even though I can't figure out how to use it myself). But
I'm not a kernel developer so I'll stop and avoid a futile rant.

My most recent process is
- install OS image from
https://github.com/dominicgs/USBProxy/releases/tag/2014-03-R1
- flash to device
- apt-get upgrade, update, install (libusb, cmake etc.)

apt-get update and upgrade is a good thing to do, but unfortunately
installing libusb from the repositories is the cause of your problem.

We use a specific version of libusb to work around devices that
automatically get attached to a kernel driver. This means that you need to
use the version that was installed on the BBB OS image that was published.

Thanks for this, I'll retry with a clean setup making sure to use the
correct version. Which version should be used?

On a somewhat related note, do you know of any good gadgetfs reference
document?

There really isn't any documentation other than this:
http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/

Thanks, I guess I try to reverse engineer what usb.c does, it seems vaguely
similar to functionfs which I've had to do something similar with.

Regards,
Mike