[usbca_chess] Re: some history about our tournament

  • From: Jay Leventhal <jaylev7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usbca_chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 16:20:05 -0400

Hi Everyone,
I played in several of our USBCA over the board annual championships in the 1990s and early 2000s. Those tournaments were in places like Columbus, Ohio, Louisville, Kentucky, Los Angeles, Framingham, Massachusetts, and Cherry Hill, New Jersey. I also played in a bunch of tournaments with sighted players. I really enjoyed the experience. By the end of a weekend of chess, you are physically and mentally exhausted, which feels great. You meet new people, and share unique experiences. I encourage you to try playing in tournaments, whether its our annual tournament or local tournaments in your area. I think you will enjoy it.

Jay

On 7/26/2016 10:06 AM, ajpietrol@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hello chess players,
Jim Thoune speaks with some passion about the importance of playing chess games in person with other chess players. I used to play four or five live tournaments a year, but heart problems have slowed that pace a bit. It is a fun part of the game, so I too encourage you to get out into your community and look for opportunities to play chess and develop those chess friendships.
I would also suggest that at least once in your life, try your hand at playing for the national championship.
I offer a bit of history about that championship, and possibly others like Jim Slagle may be willing to add his memories.
My first rated game was a loss to Jim Slagle in 1977 as he won our national championship in New Jersey.
I came to the tournament again in the mid 1980s. By then, president Dick McStraw persuaded his local Lions Club to pay for hotel rooms and food. We had close to two dozen players when we had that kind of financial support. About eighteen years ago, we still have seventeen players down in Texas.
When I became president a few years ago, I wanted to restore our over the board championship by coming as close as we could to those old days. That has not happened.
Instead, we have been very successful at helping chess players play chess from the comfort of their home. That is a great step, and I am greatful for your participation in those events.
We still must ask the question, what should we do regarding the over the board championship?
Please give us your thoughts even if those thoughts are that you are not interested.
If that is the answer, then maybe the over the board championship should pass on.
Thanks for your feedback.
Al