[Umpqua Birds] Re: umpquabirds Digest V1 #7

  • From: Voyla Steves <voylamsteves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Umpqua Birds <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 16:49:23 -0800

This afternoon, Sunday, Matt and his family met me at Garden Valley  and Del
Rio Roads, to talk about the bird I had seen last week that I thought might be
the ferruginous hawk. After trying to verbally describe the bird, and doing it
very inadequately, I remembered I had photos of it in my camera.  So, looking
at the photos, Matt explained to me what makes it evident the bird was a
first-year red-shouldered hawk. If I stick around long enough Matt's going to
teach this old head a whole lot of things and I appreciate that. But, it's a
whole lot more fun on a sunny day than in the rain like yesterday morning.
As we talked, Matt mentioned the leucistic red-tailed hawk that he had seen in
that area and I said I hadn't seen it this winter but had seen it earlier last
year. Moments later, as we started driving on west on Garden Valley Rd., there
was the leucistic red-tailed and another red-tailed sitting in the first big
tree on the right side of the road west of the fire station.  It really has a
lot of white feathers, on the head, both wings and various other spots. It
makes a rather spectacular-looking bird.

Voyla Steves