[Umpqua Birds]

  • From: Norma Hall <nhall58@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 16:52:24 -0700

Matt,

As we were gone in January and February this year, this is last year's
info.  We are seeing the most common ones again, of course, but haven't had
time for much observation yet.

These notes were made as we first saw them at our yard feeders which
included suet, mixed seed feeder with higher concentration of sunflower
seeds, niger seed bags, chick scratch* on the ground and a smear feeder
with peanut butter and cornmeal* which was very popular and often emptied.
 I've added frequency and location info as my memory best serves me.
*added later in spring

2-12-13

Sharp-shinned hawk, once or twice over head and in maple tree in back yard

Western Tanager, one light orange headed male at suet feeders almost daily
until late spring

Juncos in abundance and color variations, suet feeder and ground underneath
and around yard

Lesser finches in abundance at niger bags daily

Pine siskins in a group of a dozen maybe for few weeks to a month at niger
bags

Black-capped chickadees, several frequently at feeder

Starlings, several and frequently at suet

Scrub Jays, several and frequently at suet and feeder

Mourning doves, several daily at chick scratch and about in the yard

Flickers, 2-4 frequently at suet

White-throated Sparrow, a few occasional at feeder and around on ground or
bushes

Song Sparrow, a few occasional at feeder and around on ground or bushes

Spotted Towhee, 1-2 at a time frequently at feeder and underneath

Golden-crowned Sparrow, 1 or 2 occasional at feeder

American Robin occasional on ground and eating wintergreen berries on ground

Crows, not at feeders but around in trees

2-14-13 Yellow-rumped Warbler usually one at a time at suet and feeder often

2-15-13 Townsend's Warbler spotted occasionally, would guess at suet once
or twice a day

             Hairy Woodpecker, one infrequent at suet

2-17-13 Red-breasted nuthatch infrequent at feeders

             Acorn Woodpecker frequently if not daily at suet, usually 3 or
4 together

3-10-13 California Quail. several on ground traveling through yard
occasionally

          House finch, a couple spotted only once at feeder, recall seeing
more in the past

3-11-13 Ruby-crowned kinglet at smear feeder, seen singly and infrequent

3-27-13 Collared dove, often on ground and at chicken scratch

4-1-13 Brewer's Blackbird, in yard but not at feeders infrequently

4-4-13 American Goldfinch,  a few seen a couple times at niger bags

There were others like red-tail hawks and turkey vultures which we see fly
overhead frequently in season but I didn't note dates.

Cheers,

Norma Hall

on a hill in Green