[Umpqua Birds] n shrike and snipe

  • From: Elva Paulson <epaulson007@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Umpqua Birds Birds <Umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 23:17:03 -0800

Yesterday Dale and I spotted a flock of about 200 snipe at the Stewart Pond
area .... maybe more.  They popped into the air and then back down on the
island in the center of the back pond.  Today we had a brief glimpse of them
again.

Today we had an immature northern shrike at Wildlife Safari.  It was hanging
out on the heavy fencing just before you cross the cattle guard going into the
road around Hart Lake.  We hadn't driven the loop recently so I don't know if
it has been hanging out there for awhile or not.

Some days the mallard displaying at Stewart Pond are marvelous.  I posted a
bunch of photos on my blog on Jan 15:

http://elvafieldnotes.blogspot.com/2015/01/watching-mallards-part-ii.html

Elva Paulson
Roseburg