[Umpqua Birds] UVAS Winchester Bay/Reedsport Field Trip, Jan 31st

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 22:58:51 -0800

Hi Folks,

I'm a bit late on getting this together, but ... I would like to take some
folks to the Reedsport/Winchester Bay area on the last day of January,
Saturday the 31st.

Please email or call me if you would like to go, as I would like to limit
the number of people and cars (2 or 3) for this trip. It is a fairly long
drive and gets crazy trying to stay together and find places to park at the
coast. Let me know how many you have and how many you can take with you.
Thanks!

It will be a long, but hopefully fun day of birding and discovery. We will
visit the South Jetty Area, Salmon Harbor/Winchester Bay/Umpqua River,
Reedsport proper, Smith River area, and Dean Creek Elk Viewing area, and
probably the O.H. Hinsdale Rhododendron Gardens. Expected species will
include a variety of loons, cormorants, grebes, gulls, ducks, geese,
herons/egrets, wrens, sparrows. There may be a few pelicans around,
shorebirds, raptors. Rare birds? Possibilities include Glaucous Gull, Swamp
Sparrow, Palm Warbler, Long-tailed Duck. No guarantees; they're... you know
... rare!

There will be some walking through sand 200 yards at the South Jetty, and
occasional sandy/rocky areas; otherwise we will mostly be on solid level
ground.

Roseburg-area folks will meet at the Roseburg BLM visitor's parking area by
0630 and leave shortly thereafter. If you live between Roseburg and the
Coast, we can make arrangements to pick you up somewhere along the way.
Bring as much food as you would like, but I like to stop for some chowder
at Don's Main Street Diner in Reedsport around lunch. We will head home in
mid-afternoon, depending on weather and attitudes of participants. We also
have the option of stopping in Elkton or Tyee Landing on the way home for
some refreshment and reflection. Expect to help drivers out with some gas
money (glad price is low!).

Thanks and looking forward to it....  Give me a call/email!

Matt Hunter
541-670-1984