[Umpqua Birds] Three Sightings at the Utter Household

  • From: "Bill Utter" <butter2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 14:53:21 -0700

Greetings fellow enthusiasts,

We journal the first time of each year that we see our various feathered
visitors .

We had three sightings that were the first occurrence (at our house) for
any of the three this year.

This morning we had a Golden-crowned Sparrow; and a few minutes later, two
male Purple Finches.

They were feeding on the deck under our feeders.

Last night, another visitor flew (I should say glided) to one of our
feeders. Even though it had fur instead of feathers - since it came by air,
I will list it.

It was "Rocky" the flying squirrel. It glides to our deck from high in our
Firs out front. When it finishes feeding, it return glides to lower down on
the trunks of the Firs.

According to the Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife website, our little
visitor was a Northern Flying Squirrel Glaucomys sabrinus. I did not take
the attached photo. It is from nature.org.

Bill & Deborah Utter

Just north of Wilbur