[Umpqua Birds] Terns

  • From: Keith Phifer <PLFER9381@xxxxxxx>
  • To: umpqua birds <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 20:57:59 +0000

I headed out for a hike with my 3 year old to Cooper creek but since she fell
asleep I decided to see what was happening at Plat-I. I was impressed to
immediately see 4 small terns flying and diving for fish when I pulled up. I
guessed they were common terns at first glance, but when I put my binoculars
on them I had to pull out my Sibley app because I was seeing so much variation.
The Sibley app was helpful, but I left wishing I knew my terns better and all
he variation I was seeing. Just for example some had red/orang bills, some had
very dark bills, some had the all dark crowns of breeding birds and others
just partially black crowns of non breeding birds. Anyway it was my first time
seeing common terns in Douglas co and was fun to study them for several
minutes. Besides the 4 flying around there were two more small terns perched
on a log with 2 larger terns across the lake that I am guessing were also
common terns with a couple of Caspian terns.
After leaving I went to Cooper creek dam for our hike and I was surprised to
find 6 American pipits feedin there and one Vesper sparrow as I walked Across.
Sorry Jimmy I would have tried harder to get a hold o you if I had known you
hadn't seen the common tern. I thought I remembered you having them a few
weeks ago out a the triangle jetty.
Keith