[Umpqua Birds] See a Sora or Virginia Rail?

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 11:52:33 -0700

Hi Folks,
  Serge Queant just called me to let me know that he video-recorded a SORA
at Stewart Park Wildlife Ponds in the last day or so, as well as a couple
VIRGINIA RAIL. While Virginia Rails are fairly widespread in the few marshy
habitats we have in Douglas County, Soras are harder to come by. Neither
are easily seen; mostly heard only. However, the low water has created a
situation that is conducive to seeing the species at Stewart Park Wildlife
Ponds. Between the north and south pond, at the west end of the land/dike
between them (toward Stewart Parkway), there is a small marsh. At this
time, the water is low enough that instead of water between all the marsh
vegetation, there is mud. The rails (both species are a type of "rail")
will walk slowly or dart between these clumps of vegetation. Best bet is to
get there as soon as you can see but before the sun comes over the horizon,
or after the sun goes down but before it gets dark, and find a place with a
good view, plop yourself down (or stand) and wait and watch.  Good luck,
and say hi and get to know Serge if he is there with his tripod and video
camera.

  Serge also wanted to give credit to William Horden, a photographer who is
often at the ponds, that he was the one to point out the American Bittern
to Serge last week.

Good Birding!

Matt