[Umpqua Birds] Re: Request for Info: Yard Birds

  • From: Robert and Jean Pollock <rjpollock@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 10:36:55 -0700

We live in a mixed forest (oak-madrone-Douglas fir), with a few small openings, at about 700’ elevation northwest of Roseburg. We have two black-oil sunflower feeders, and we put out a suet feeder in the winter. In the 18 years that we’ve lived here, we have recorded 69 species that have been either on or over our property. We feel very fortunate to have such a varied group. Listed below (in the order of the Birds of Douglas County checklist) are the more common species we have.

Bob and Jeannie Pollock

Wild Turkey - common in spring, summer and fall
Mountain Quail - occasional; have nested nearby
Turkey Vulture - common, soaring, spring, summer and fall
Sharp-shinned Hawk - uncommon, flying through the trees or perched near the feeders
Cooper’s Hawk - even more uncommon, flying through the trees
Red-shouldered Hawk - common all year, soaring, calling; sometimes perching in the trees or flying through the forest Red-tailed Hawk - uncommon all year; soaring, calling; sometimes perching in the trees Western Screech-Owl - occasionally seen and heard; sometimes seen in our large nest boxes
Anna’s Hummingbird - uncommon at flowers (we don’t put out feeders)
Red-breasted Sapsucker - occasional on birch trees around the house in spring
Northern Flicker - occasional, finding insects on the ground
Pileated Woodpecker - fairly common; seen and heard; may nest nearby
Hutton’s Vireo - occasional in spring in the trees
Steller’s Jay - common at seed and suet feeders all year
Western Scrub-Jay - common at seed and suet feeders all year
Black-capped Chickadee - abundant at seed and suet feeders all year; nests on property
Chestnut-backed Chickadee - uncommon at seed and suet feeders in winter
Red-breasted Nuthatch - fairly common at seed and suet feeders all year
White-breasted Nuthatch - fairly common at seed and suet feeders all year
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - occasional, feeding in the trees all year
Hermit Thrush - occasional in winter on the ground
American Robin - occasional in spring and fall; feeds on madrone berries
Warblers (Orange-crowned, Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Gray, Townsend’s) - occasional in spring and summer feeding in the trees
Western Tanager - fairly common in summer
Spotted Towhee - common feeding on the ground and suet feeder all year
Dark-eyed Junco - abundant at seed and suet feeders all year; nests on property
Black-headed Grosbeak - common in summer at seed feeders
Purple Finch - uncommon at seed feeders
House Finch - common at seed feeders
Pine Siskin - common last winter at seed feeder, none this winter
Lesser Goldfinch - common primarily in winter at seed feeders
American Goldfinch - common in summer at seed feeders